Forums General General Discussion
  • Topic: styrene tube with metal shaft

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 9, 2019 11:45 AM EST
      • Ormond Beach, Fl. 32174

• Thanks

styrene tube with metal shaft

Does anyone still make a styrene tube with a metal internal shaft fused in it, believe Evergreen or Plastruct use to but can't find it in either catalog and yes I realize one can insert a rod into a hollow tube it's just in real small diameters the fused one bends better?  

• November 9, 2019 2:23 PM EST
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

If it's fused on, why not use electrical wire? The insulation should give the same effect.

John

The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

• November 9, 2019 3:32 PM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU

• Thanks

I guess it depends on the application, what do you want to use it for Bill?

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• November 9, 2019 5:30 PM EST

• Thanks

John, it does the only difference is that the one I'm talking about is more ridged than solid core electrical wire, and Greg, I was going to use it to make air piping with like the cooling ones you see under the running boards on engines + it bonds well with styrene brackets using solvent rather than super glue, but I'm afraid its a no longer made product.  

• November 9, 2019 5:38 PM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU

• Thanks

Yeah that makes sense, and I waited until your response to say that Bill probably wants this to be rigid as opposed to be flexible like copper. Also if you were to paint this, styrene takes paint much better than electrical insulation... there's many funny stories about Bachmann and Aristo painting red wire black and vice versa.

greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• November 9, 2019 7:15 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon

• Thanks

I have some I bought years ago, seems to me it is piano wire coated with Styrene very tough and springy.  How much of it do you need?

Electrical wire (Romex 12-2 or 14-2) paints very well if you strip off the clear covering from the colored insulation plus it makes a little smaller scale size.

Just ran out to the shop and checked.

I have 6 pieces of .068 od and 6 pieces of .048 od they are 15 inches long. if these sizes will work for you I can spare a couple.

This post was edited by Rick Marty at November 9, 2019 7:27 PM EST
    • November 11, 2019 10:59 AM EST

• Thanks

Thanks Rick I was just wanting some cause I'm down to my last 6" piece, not sure of the size but I will check and get back with you. Do you remember who made it? I was thinking it was evergreen but too long ago and mind goes off without me sometimes, Bill 

• November 11, 2019 11:20 AM EST

• Thanks

Finally found it, it's made by plastruct and caries # TB-4 or TB-2 90104, others with different #'s

Forums General General Discussion

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google