Large Scale Central

BD Asks A Question

Bob McCown wrote: Someone needs to tell me why I should continue to spend a large amount of money to keep the forums going just so a handful of children have a place to harass each other.

Bob,

You asked a question but locked the thread before anyone could reply to YOUR question.

You continue with LSC because you love us all as a parent loves his children. I know we are not children, but we do play with trains! That’s why we call you the BENEVOLENT DICTATOR (BD for short). Sometimes children get out of hand and need some discipline. You, as the father figure here in your living room, need to hand out some discipline. Case in point is one certain character we will call Gallus domesticus for this discussion. Basically, and I know you don’t want to hear this, but it is your own fault for not reining this character in for the many times he has disrupted your forums. I know you have heard of this character before, but the problem continues. Rather than penalize everyone, zero in on the problem and take action. I hope I am not in trouble with you for this post, but I see no other useful alternative.

Joe Zullo said:

Bob McCown wrote: Someone needs to tell me why I should continue to spend a large amount of money to keep the forums going just so a handful of children have a place to harass each other.

Case in point is one certain character we will call Gallus domesticus for this discussion.

I personally have never heard of the guy myself Joe. Does he play with model trains outdoors and if he does what does he model ?

How does he get away with this foolishness? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

Bob McCown wrote: Someone needs to tell me why I should continue to spend a large amount of money to keep the forums going?

Is there any part you still enjoy?

(How did this get in the Track forum?)

And how about some positive reasons why LSC should continue?

• shared knowledge making all of us, BD included, into better modelers

• a place to learn how to do things currently outside your skill set,

• a community of like-minded persons who discuss related issues and plan real get-togethers?

More?

I think that asking the question and then locking the thread sends mixed signals. I took it as a rhetorical question, i.e. not wanting or expecting an answer.

As much as I would love to see the abuse, name calling, harassment, bumping of post counts, people invading a good thread with off topic stuff, go away, I’m not sure the causes are clearly appreciated by many and not necessarily by Bob, as we have the experiences of making rules and not following them, making rules again, promising strict enforcement, and not following through.

So I try to put myself in his shoes, I believe Bob wants the forum to run itself, and can only monitor/moderate once or twice a week. That much has been stated many times. But, things can move fast on a forum, in minutes not days and certainly not weeks.

I look to what other forums do, and the big difference is moderation is on a much shorter time frame, and drawing a line and sticking to it.

Now, all these comments are meant to be helpful, and it is indeed a forum by definition, but not sure any of this does anything but to irritate Bob further. Why do I keep posting? In the idealistic hope that things can improve for everyone. The consensus seems to be that we can do without all the unneeded “angst”.

Greg

To quote Greg “I look to what other forums do, and the big difference is moderation is on a much shorter time frame”, I too see this approach on a number of other train forums that I visit and it seems to work well for them but they do have a number of moderators.

Perhaps if moderating the forum is becoming overwhelming for one person, as it is growing in size, then possibly consider offering moderator rights to some trusted people who can help shoulder the load this could result, as Greg suggested, a much shorter moderation time which could nip in the bud any issues that could have the potential to get out of hand.

It could be a win for the forum as there will be less pressure and a reduced workload for one person to keep people inside the rules/guidelines (A task/problem shared is a task/problem halved) and it will continue to operate.

On another note if “Gallus domesticus” is causing to much angst for others then maybe a “timeout” i.e. access suspended for a period is called for.

I have seen on other forums where quarrelling people lost their access for a month (first offence) then 3 months (2nd offence) and finally for good (a type of 3 strikes and your out).

These comments/suggestions are my opinion and are not intended to inflame this situation.

GAP, I would agree, except I have seen the same issues arise between members and moderators. Moderators are people and people have opinions. There is no clear cut, clean answer. In my first post on this topic here https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/29862/continuing/view/post_id/392085 I voiced my thoughts and I hold to them. I don’t believe Bob needs any moderator help, I just believe he needs to be a Dictator and leave the Benevolent out, folks don’t seen to know how to respond to his Benevolence.

As much as I try to avoid getting involved in these pointless bouts of drama I’m going to leave this one comment because I believe it’s a needed resonance to Bob’s question. Yes this stuff is very annoying and definitely contributes to why I haven’t been posting as much. ( but my overall level of busyness is the main reason) I really wish we could all grow up. I won’t offer suggestions as it’s Bob’s site and he’s a smart fellow.

My answer to his question however is the many posts like this one I just made.

https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/29869/a-24-hour-railroad-for-a-wedding/view/post_id/392122

This is a shrinking niche hobby and we need all the good PR we can get. This site and it’s similar posts keep us connected engaged and draw new members in when they see what is possible. I really hope Bob gives the site another chance as I still check in often while I haven’t been modeling. I really hope to be posting a lot more this spring when I start the new layout. Thanks Bob for many good years whatever your decision.

And it is EXACTLY why I dropped out of one forum, and don’t spend much time here anymore.

BS responses, throwing grenades. Just not what I have time for.

I had logged out, got another phone call, came back and posted on the BBT thread (because I have data). Not worth the effort to actually start a thread anymore.

Time to log out and go do some more productive stuff.

Ever changed out a wiper wheelbox on a MK2 Jag? Productive…omce you are done, anyway.

Maybe I’ll take more pictures of BBT stuff for Greg.

TOC

I come here to get answers to my questions and find out how to do something. There is nobody in this hobby in the area where I live and this is my outlet to learn and get answers. To answer Bob’s question, if you have the available funds, I sure appreciate the website. I come as often as possible to look, listen and learn. I am in my 60’s, work all summer to get my layout ready for Halloween open house for the trick-or-treaters to see the trains run. Thanks.

Bob Cope said:

GAP, I would agree, except I have seen the same issues arise between members and moderators. Moderators are people and people have opinions. There is no clear cut, clean answer. In my first post on this topic here https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/29862/continuing/view/post_id/392085 I voiced my thoughts and I hold to them. I don’t believe Bob needs any moderator help, I just believe he needs to be a Dictator and leave the Benevolent out, folks don’t seen to know how to respond to his Benevolence.

Re-reading Bob C’s post (this one and the earlier one he linked to), it really clicked for me that, as I and many others have mentioned along the way, LSC is the BD’s site. It’s his hobby, it’s his creation. Our donations help to defray his costs, but don’t pay him.

For numerous reasons, the BD has the choice to keep this thing going, or not. It ain’t a business, and there is no contract. We meet here at his invitation and discretion, pure and simple. And he’s been doing a dang great job.

When I met Bob M. a few years back at ECLSTS, I was amazed to learn that he wasn’t making decent money off this, but quite the reverse. After that, I’d come up with two opinions: there should be moderators to help Bob out, and that we should all pay an annual fee. Well, I still agree with the latter.

But back to Bob C’s post, this really is the BD’s hobby, to do with as he wishes. And it’s occurring to me that managing moderators and their issues could explode into a new part time job he doesn’t have time for. So, while I still believe we should pay the BD’s expenses at least, I now see that a moderated approach will probably not work in this “business” model (for lack of a better term).

However, between status quo and full shut-down, I’d suggest that the middle ground for the BD is exactly what Bob C. said: a little less on the Benevolent, a little more on the Dictator.

Bob M., sincere thanks for all you’ve done for me at least, and know that your supporters trust you to do whatever you think’s best. In answer to your initial question, your creation here is the only place I know to go where I can share the details of whatever I’ve gotten myself into, and on a reliable site. That’s sure worth a lot to me.

Cliff