Large Scale Central

WTB Bachman Shay Metal trucks Pickup set

I recently Purchased a Shay from a gentleman . Come to find out all the pickups were removed from both trucks? These are the most modern metal trucks so the pickups from the plastic trucks wont work . Any way if any one has a couple extra sets I need enough to do both trucks

Thank you Love this forum

John said:

I recently Purchased a Shay from a gentleman . Come to find out all the pickups were removed from both trucks? These are the most modern metal trucks so the pickups from the plastic trucks wont work . Any way if any one has a couple extra sets I need enough to do both trucks

Thank you Love this forum

Thank you Joe . Could not get the pic to show

Welcome John

Welcome John,

The pickups were most likely removed as part of a Battery conversion. With on board power, the rails could cause a power drain. Removing them isolated the loco.

edited to make sense, 1st time for everything eh?

Welcome John. If you can wait a few months; I will be doing a battery conversion on a new 3 truck Shay. I will be isolating and hard-wiring the trucks and will have no use for the pick-ups. It’s tentatively on the schedule to go into the electric shop in late October; after yard clean-up is done.

-OR- You could put battery-r/c in it and come over to the dark side.

Is there instructions anywhere on the battery conversion . I bought this shay to flip it I got it for cheap and it is in good shape .

Each unit/company had it’s own instruction, mine were done years ago and the basic instruction was to remove the boards, smoke unit and lights; all electron thieves.

Wire batteries to the ESC and then to the motor.

Lithium’s allowed more accessories, so I converted.

Put away the track cleaner and just sweep the rails clean.

PS; the trucks on one tender were wired opposite of each other, so it was a good thing to pull the pickups.

Unless I read the op wrong, he wants to undo the battery conversion, and replace the pickups to restore track power operation.

“I bought this shay to flip it I got it for cheap and it is in good shape .”

Greg

John said:

Is there instructions anywhere on the battery conversion . I bought this shay to flip it I got it for cheap and it is in good shape .

That can be risky. I tried that few times with rolling stock, and I ended up just recouping my investment.

I have had good luck fixing these up and reselling them . I guess at this point I would like to do the battery conversion if I can to play with it . Thanks for all the help guys .

I have my own shay 2 truck . I also have the climax by bachman . I have a Accucraft Heisler west side number 3 and I just picked up a mich cal accucraft number 2

2 cents

" Is there instructions anywhere on the battery conversion (?)"(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I gave the quick thumbnail.

Take the week end off.

John said:

I have had good luck fixing these up and reselling them . I guess at this point I would like to do the battery conversion if I can to play with it . Thanks for all the help guys .

I have my own shay 2 truck . I also have the climax by bachman . I have a Accucraft Heisler west side number 3 and I just picked up a mich cal accucraft number 2

So are you asking advice for profit or for something that you are going to enjoy on your RR with pictures of your enjoyment?

Once again welcome John

Nope not asking for advice for profit . At this point I want to learn new things and see what I can do . I have not built a railroad yet at this point collecting equipment for the future . I never considered battery so now I am curios .

I am sorry if my post has offended anyone that is not my intention with this post just looking for parts .

John said:

I never considered battery so now I am curios .

It’s a slippery slope !! There are tons of options !!

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yes I have bought engines in the past at cheap prices to fix them up so I can make a few dollars to be able to afford engines or rolling stock I am looking for. I recently bought the accucraft Mich cal shay #2 with a bunch of cars I did not want or need . So I sold those so I could afford other things that I want for my future layout . I never have advertised anything that is not truthful so I just wanted to clear that up .

I am not saying anyone accused me pf anything . I am just letting all the great people on this post what I am about . I live on a limited budget as I support my household so I do what I can to have a hobby that keeps me busy .

Thank you

John said:

Below is my choice for R/C.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/gscalegraphics_3_011.htm

Thank you John I will check them out !

You are welcome.

Don’t let the name fool you, he set up the graphic side for his wife ….