Large Scale Central

Wanted - Bachmann 4-4-0 bits

We ran my latest acquisition at Jerry’s SC&M, a Spectrum 4-4-0, with my existing 2-6-0. Tried to run the tender with it on track power and almost fried the electrics as the switch is wired wrong - when set to ‘track power’, instead of feeding the motor it feeds all the elctronics. Oops.

Anyway, it’s missing a couple of things, like the top off the steam dome with the whistle, etc. Also the cover for one of the cylinder valve chests, and the smokebox door. I managed to find most of the other parts at Bachmann.

Finally, I don’t have a clue what the 2 connectors are sticking out of the back. From the wiring diagram, one will be track pickups from the tender, and the other is speaker connections? Can anyone enlighten me as to the use of the 2-pin and the 4-pin connector wires?

We had a good time running and here’s a very short video:

Did you get a tender? The same guy now has tenders for that loco on the FB group.

Chris Kieffer said:

Did you get a tender? The same guy now has tenders for that loco on the FB group.

I ordered one from him, but I have 2 more coming (!) He also advertised another 4-40, so I am negotiating on a package deal, as my pal likes the look of it.

Well, I found the pickup connector by trial and error, and I fixed the 2-6-0 tender so it now works properly (added another switch so the track/battery function does what it says.) So the 4-4-0 can now be run with the tender pickups - if I can get the polarity the same (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

And my 2 tenders and another loco turned up yesterday. One of the 4-4-0s is for Jerry (Naptowneng) so I am down to a 2-6-0 and a 4-4-0 - the latter just cracked its gear and slid to a halt with the motor whirring! Fortunately I bought a spare from NWSL.