Large Scale Central

Does anyone have one of these Shay connector plugs?

I broke the fragile wires (never making that mistake again!) connecting my back truck and the rest of my three-truck Shay and there’s no way of fixing them that I know of. I called Bachmann out there in Philadelphia, and they said they’re out of stock but they get shipments in every week but they “…have no way of knowing what will be in the shipments. Just keep trying in a couple of weeks.” What??

The part number is 824XX-PLUG. I’m hoping against the odds somebody here has one laying around. (Or a better solution.)

I have not looked at these connectors but in my experien you have to insert something small (probably a straight pin in this case) in thru the end to ‘unlock’ the connector. Usually by pushing down the lock connection.

John, as Mickey pointed out, they are repairable, just a PITA. I think I have one that I would gladly send you if I can find it. I stripped all the existing wiring out of my 3T Shay and will not be using that particular connector. Let me take a look and see if I can put my hands on it.

Here it is John, if you want it, PM me with your mailing address and I will get it pointed in your direction.

Dan Hilyer said:

John, as Mickey pointed out, they are repairable, just a PITA. I think I have one that I would gladly send you if I can find it. I stripped all the existing wiring out of my 3T Shay and will not be using that particular connector. Let me take a look and see if I can put my hands on it.

Thanks Dan, that would be great if you can find it. I just now tried what Mickey suggested, but I needed a magnifying glass on top of my reading glasses…I’ll tried to slip bare wire in next to the connection but not enough contact to conduct the signal. I’ll chalk this one up to learning something the hard way!

John, PM sent.

It’s pointed in your direction, John.

Ref this plug…The following may be of use and may fit (in more cases of similar plugs/sockets required)…worth a try!..

.(and dont forget to order the correct crimp pins for required units!!) (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

https://www.digikey.co.uk/catalog/en/partgroup/ph-series/8404

Dan Hilyer said:

It’s pointed in your direction, John.

Mr. Pigtail arrived in this afternoon’s mail…Thank You, Dan!!

Glad I could be of help, John.