Large Scale Central

Rotary OY Back In Service?

Well that is the bit of news that was dropped on me this weekend.

A friend and fellow railroad nerd who is a long time member and volunteer with the Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec informed me this weekend that a cursory inspection of Rotary OY was underway with a goal of returning it to service for the 50th anniversary of the scenic railroad.

This is the official statement I was told I could share: A discussion was had last week between the Friends of the C&T, The Scenic Railroad Commission and the states of New Mexico and Colorado as to the condition of Rotary OY and the possibility of returning it to operational condition.

Here is the unofficial parts of that discussion.

The states of Colorado and New Mexico jointly purchased 64 miles of the Denver & Rio Grande Western narrow gauge railroad between Antonito, Colorado and Chama, New Mexico in 1970. This became the basis for the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic railroad. The line will celebrate it’s 50th Anniversary in 2020. It is the hope that rotary OY will be used to open the line over Cumbres pass as far as Osier (possibly all the way to Antonito).

Rotary OY was built in 1923 by the American Locomotive Company (AlCo). It was last used in 1997. It was still operational when brought to Chama after that final run. It has received nothing more than minor maintenance since then.

It is proposed that one of four things could happen with the rotary based on the serviceability of the boiler and the condition of the rotor mechanism (gears, bearings and rotor blades).

1. Deterioration makes the possibility financially impossible. Budget is always a concern with the railroad and equipment such as engines and coaches have higher priority. Rotary OY could be put out to pasture for good.

2. The equipment might be usable with only modest repairs. It would then be used for as long as it holds up. It could find itself moth balled once again after the 2020 events.

3. The equipment could be brought back into service with major but affordable repairs and used on a regular basis until more expensive repairs such boiler rebuild catch up to it. Use of the rotary could be a seasonal event as it was throughout the seventies. Opening the pass in the spring as well as limited use in the winter for special trains and charters.

4. Same as three but the Rotary creates enough interest and customer revenue to keep it permanently maintained and in use.

Rotary OM was last used by the D&RGW in 1957, Rotary OY in 1962. They were both used by the Cumbres and Toltec in the 1970s. OM made its last run at the age of 83. If Oy is run in 2020 it will be 97 years young.

More information and a possible decision is expected to be made around the end of June.

With a little luck we might get to show the grand kids this…

I have seen this plow at Chama. It looks huge compared to the narrow gauge cars. The live video cams at Chama are fun to take a look at now and then.

Carsten’s book “Slim Gauge Cars” has a multi-page colored spread of plans for one of the 2 rotaries.

I hope they can get it restored and running on a regular basis.

Awesome video and audio! It made me feel cold just watching it. Well worth the 15 minutes to watch to see the huge production that the crews went through to operate it. Thanks for posting.

Weren’t the Rotarys standard gauge on narrow gauge trucks?

Weren’t the Rotarys standard gauge on narrow gauge trucks?

I can now verify of which I have known for awhile…

It’s Official . John just made it public.

OY will run in the spring of 2020, as the start of the HUGE Happenings on the C&TS for their 50 year celebration.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,369894,369901#msg-369901

I will be there, for this historic event.

There WILL BE OTHER awsome stuff happening on the C&TS for their 50th. Stand By for more events being announced.

Save you vacation time for 2020, once in a lifetime events are planed, OY is just the start…