Large Scale Central

Resurgam Rolling Stock

here in UK, Wales to be precise, is a recently-established 16mm scale dedicated company run by one David Williams, who has the enviable job of fireman on the Welsh Highland Railway [WHR], ‘feeding’ their five Beyer-Garratt articulated locos on a daily basis during the running season. He has a small but expanding range of mixed-material models of the ex-South African Railways 2ft gauge rolling stock now to be found mostly on the WHR, but spreading to the Vale of Rheidol and Lynton & Barnstaple tracks. So far I’ve built three of the Type B welded construction ballast cars - see them, in clean condition - on Youtube - tac’s trains - Resurgam cars, and I’m about 90% finished on the older-style, riveted-construction drop-side ballast car, the Type DZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duoB3bZrUEo

Bearing in mind the method of construction of the original, I’ve elected to apply every single one of the visible rivets, almost 1700 of them, using Cambrian Model Rail plastic 1.5mm rivets…I must be crazy. Well, I am NOW.

I’ll be posting a short movie on YT when it is done, and ready for your inspection. for those here in yUK who might be attending the big Peterborough show on April 9th - look for them all on the Resurgam stand.

He has also produced the SAR Cape Government Railway passenger brake van, but TBH the dark brown lack of colour scheme put me off from building it, although it IS a very fine model. As of 9th May, all his models will be available in complete laser cut ply form, as well as the current MDF/ply versions - there is a small surcharge for this but all-in-all the kits are remarkable value for money, and right now are the only show in town for SAR/RHe wagons in this scale.

Weird lookin couplers on that thing…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

Weird lookin couplers on that thing…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

They are called ‘chopper’ or axe-head couplings, and while these are not exactly the same as the originals, they are near enough that makes no odds. These are Accucraft British NG couplings, and come with round or square face-plates. The newer versions are more scale in appearance, and can be retrofitted on every Accucraft car or loco for which they are suitable.

This is a public service announcement.

Sent from my Marionberry :slight_smile:

I arranged to meet David up at the big Warley show in November, having heard about his initial class B wagon offering via FB. Took one look at his built samples, an unbuilt boxed kit and the other work of his “cutter”, on the shared stand, and went “YES, at last !”. Ordered some coaches and a selection of wagons there and then. The guys service and commitment is exemplary. He also gave me a link to a web site that had a wealth of picture information on SAR 2ft gauge lines - including pictures of typical mixed consists (great sales aid (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif))

When I opened the kits I was staggered by his understanding and use of laser cutting technology and materials, that will build to make precise fitting and staggeringly detailed models. They are some of the best I have ever seen. Think Hartford. One to watch in the future. Now can we get him to expand into 1:20.3 to fill the gap seemingly left by Rio Grande Models UK. Another UK supplier seems to be encroaching on the territory with what appear to be “budget” offerings. For ages it has been difficult to find suitable stock for the impressive Acucraft made SAR Garratt and Mikado locos, either very limited availability or attempts that did no reach fruition for one reason or another. Now there is a glut of product.

I understand that David is a past editor of the UK based Garden Rail magazine. Seems he has a bit of “form” in this hobby then. I have a funny feeling a few of the, mostly Stateside, members of this forum might be scratching their heads by now and thinking, “What are they going on about ?”. Tac, I am impressed at your patience and obvious skills. I take it an internet connection is available at the rehab centre when you book in to be weaned off your possible rivet addiction.

Max, you ain’t seen nuttin’ yet. With the Type B I did some extra work, using Phil’s Narrow Gauge steps, and scratch-building the over-door catches et al. With the DZ all I’ve done is to put nuts on the handbrake staffs. I had to make a replacement end overlay in styrene. Having done it, I then found it. underneath the work mat. As for David, he has a very fine 16mm layout that he might tell you about, and add to that his occupation as a fireman on the WHR and the connection is deep-rooted.

As for our US/Canadian pals here, you’d be surprised how many of them actually model British NG. If there was no interest, then you wouldn’t have Jason Kovacs independently producing his ‘Dolgoch’, right? Over in Ontario, Geoff Young has been modelling the UK NG scene for around 25 years or so.

A link to that site would be good to have, please.