Large Scale Central

Plowing snow with mishaps.

Here is a recent video where the RR crew is out to clear the line of snow. They start off with the newly improved rotary until they meet the covered bridge… Blooper! The snow was too heavy for the rotary to function properly so the wedge was brought out with 2 engines to push it and it does a good job. The boss then takes a trip on the cleared line to check the work and he meets with another Blooper at the end. Enjoy.

Fun video Todd, thanks for sharing!!!

Todd,

How much weight do you have in the plow?

It’s even more fun if you have a tight double track main that goes roundy round…You plow one side then go back and plow what you just pushed onto the other side. Then do it again and again.

Paul Burch said:

Todd,

I had to put more into it after bashing it and testing it for the first time. I put a block of wood underneath to give me a solid point to attach the rear of the plow to and I ended up hollowing that out to create a box and 12 ounces of lead went into it. I also attached wheel weights to the plow and frame to keep the weight nice and low along with a nice quality metal wheel. I also put some chain inside the car which brought the total weight to 5 pounds 6 ounces.

That is a great video Rooster. I like that camera angle you used. I don’t have a double main but there is a long passing siding that I tried to plow and the snow was pushed back and forth from that to the main. I think you need a rotary for your RR to throw the snow aside.

I need to put those skirts along the sides by the trucks on mine

Paul Burch said:

Todd,

I have one of Aristo’s plows, and I just fill the gondola with as much crushed rock as it will hold, then let it fill with rain water in the fall, freeze, then it’s ready for work.

I used it once to plow about 500 ft of mainline, and when it reached the starting point, there was about a half inch of snow that needed plowing, so around it went again. I think it made about ten loops before the battery started to fail, and I started to get cold.

Sorry Roos, no pics.

Steve Featherkile said:

Sorry Roos, no pics.

It’s all good Steve I understand …back in the day in the hood with the original plow and a brick …

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Great action shot Rooster!

When I had the plow attached to the gondola I used half a brick for weight during the running season where the plow always headed out on the first run of the day to push aside any leaves, twigs etc… that fell on the tracks since last time and in the Winter a full brick went in.

Todd, Rooster, have yo had a derailemt in the curves due to the weight of the snow pushing the plow off the tracks? With elevated RR’s seeems like that might be a big problem if it happens.

Pete Lassen said:

Todd, Rooster, have yo had a derailemt in the curves due to the weight of the snow pushing the plow off the tracks? With elevated RR’s seeems like that might be a big problem if it happens.

Oh yeah you can count on derailments and hope they don’t happen where major damage can occur. I send my plow round before I run trains to push aside any junk that may have fallen on the tracks and I have had plenty of derailments and crashes bouncing over twigs, acorns and pine cones. I keep my finger on the all stop button on my controls just in case the wheels jump off and they do but that is all part and parcel of the adventures in Garden Railroading.