Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: Snow Plow needed

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 30, 2019 1:23 PM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,060
      • Thanks
        680
      • Thanked
        1,033

      Rick Marty said:

       Anyway, any opinions out there which color I should use for the blade? 

      Thanks for any input.

      Flat black?

      ____________________________________

      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

    • December 30, 2019 3:00 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        5,301
      • Thanks
        1,761
      • Thanked
        1,306

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 30, 2019 3:43 PM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,060
      • Thanks
        680
      • Thanked
        1,033

      Gadzookus. Where's my sunglasses??.............

      ____________________________________

      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

    • December 30, 2019 4:09 PM EST
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,057
      • Thanks
        123
      • Thanked
        889

      Rick Marty said:
      Rooster ' said:

      You can get out all your building blocks and make a plow but Ken and the rest of us would like to see it in use while Ken sits by the wood stove!

       

       

      Rooster,

      You are missing the whole point of this build.  By investing a lot of time and effort to produce a snow plow it pretty much guarntees that it won't snow, and that is my main objective

      Doesn't he always?

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • December 30, 2019 6:22 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,839
      • Thanks
        388
      • Thanked
        816

      Well thanks John but maybe not that one

      Ken, if the blade was metal instead of wood that would probably be the color.

       

      Right now I think it will remain the light worn gray, it can always be repainted at anytime in the future.

      Thanks guys.

      This post was edited by Rick Marty at December 30, 2019 6:23 PM EST
    • December 30, 2019 7:33 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        14,489
      • Thanks
        2,490
      • Thanked
        1,469

      David Maynard said:
      Rick Marty said:
      Rooster ' said:

      You can get out all your building blocks and make a plow but Ken and the rest of us would like to see it in use while Ken sits by the wood stove!

       

       

      Rooster,

      You are missing the whole point of this build.  By investing a lot of time and effort to produce a snow plow it pretty much guarntees that it won't snow, and that is my main objective

      Doesn't he always?

       

       

       

      Not "Always"  Maynard just sometimes?

    • January 5, 2020 10:29 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,839
      • Thanks
        388
      • Thanked
        816

      Well we are getting a little bit done in spite of the everyday distractions of life

       

      Getting the spreader wings built and test fitted, also the journal box doors and the body rear door.

       

      All the pieces for the back wall and rear pilot beam are built and ready for treatment/paint etc.

      Hope to get a little more done before the challange starts and diverts my time and attention.

       

    • January 5, 2020 11:11 PM EST
      • Port Orchard, Washington
         
      • Posts
        2,380
      • Thanks
        96
      • Thanked
        302

      You better get it done in the next 6-10 days as there are hints that a cold weather system is going to be dropping down from BC starting Friday/Saturday...  The bread, milks and eggs are flying off the shelves already...

    • January 7, 2020 6:54 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,839
      • Thanks
        388
      • Thanked
        816

      Cool video, thanks for posting it Sean.

    • January 8, 2020 8:45 AM EST
      • Easton , Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        4,521
      • Thanks
        2,030
      • Thanked
        560

      ____________________________________

       My u-tube  My Vimeo

      The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

    • January 17, 2020 10:02 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,839
      • Thanks
        388
      • Thanked
        816

       

       

      Nailed again!!

      And where is the damn Snow Plow, still under construction in the shop because the shop crew was sent out to Bayside to construct a station building for that backwater whistle stop location (2020 build challange).  Oh well like in years past we will just have to wait in the warm shops and drink coffee until trains can get through again

       

       

      Might have to build a taller plow for this section, or maybe a tunneler.  Snow sheds are out of the question because the shop crew is basically to lazy to build all that would be needed

       

    • January 17, 2020 11:14 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama
         
      • Posts
        2,008
      • Thanks
        784
      • Thanked
        786

      Rick Marty said:

       

       

      Nailed again!!

      And where is the damn Snow Plow, still under construction in the shop because the shop crew was sent out to Bayside to construct a station building for that backwater whistle stop location (2020 build challange).  Oh well like in years past we will just have to wait in the warm shops and drink coffee until trains can get through again

       

       

      Might have to build a taller plow for this section, or maybe a tunneler.  Snow sheds are out of the question because the shop crew is basically to lazy to build all that would be needed

       

      Well, I was going to suggest extending the roof a couple feet and solving the snow issue, but with a lazy crew, l’ll just keep that thought to myself 

      ____________________________________

       

    • January 18, 2020 2:24 AM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,060
      • Thanks
        680
      • Thanked
        1,033

      or a rotary, maybe?.................

      ____________________________________

      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

    • January 18, 2020 10:45 AM EST
      • Peoria, NW of Phoenix, Arizona
         
      • Posts
        1,451
      • Thanks
        258
      • Thanked
        331

      Craig Townsend said:

      You better get it done in the next 6-10 days as there are hints that a cold weather system is going to be dropping down from BC starting Friday/Saturday...  The bread, milks and eggs are flying off the shelves already...

      Why is it that french toast is only made during a storm, hurricane or natural disaster??? nobody clears the shelves of beans and rice and enchilada sauce, or won ton wrappers, just all the stuff needed to make french toast

       

      ____________________________________

       

      Butt Modeler #2

       

       

    • January 18, 2020 11:12 AM EST
      • Port Orchard, Washington
         
      • Posts
        2,380
      • Thanks
        96
      • Thanked
        302

      I tried warning you... ;) All we got in Port Orchard was a light dusting this week and lots of black ice. Back to rain now. I can't give you too hard of a time as I have a snow plow project that has languished for years. I keep plugging along slowly...

    • January 18, 2020 7:07 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,839
      • Thanks
        388
      • Thanked
        816

      Pete Lassen said:
      Craig Townsend said:

      You better get it done in the next 6-10 days as there are hints that a cold weather system is going to be dropping down from BC starting Friday/Saturday...  The bread, milks and eggs are flying off the shelves already...

      Why is it that french toast is only made during a storm, hurricane or natural disaster??? nobody clears the shelves of beans and rice and enchilada sauce, or won ton wrappers, just all the stuff needed to make french toast

       

       

      ,  That's funny, haden't ever thought of it that way before 

    • January 18, 2020 7:08 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,839
      • Thanks
        388
      • Thanked
        816

      Craig Townsend said: tried warning you... ;) All we got in Port Orchard was a light dusting this week and lots of black ice. Back to rain now. I can't give you too hard of a time as I have a snow plow project that has languished for years. I keep plugging along slowly...

       

       

       

      Craig, I don't ever listen, just ask my wife

    • February 15, 2020 7:52 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,839
      • Thanks
        388
      • Thanked
        816

      Finally back spending a little time on this project, maybe I will get it done before Summer so I can park it until next year

       

      The metal leading edge of the plow is built up from an aluminum piano hinge, Styrene, and lead sheet.  It is shown here with the ice scrapper blade in the down and clamped position.

       

      The air brake cylinder driven lifting mechenism for raising and lowering the ice scrapper blade.

       

      Showing how the scrapper blade is held up off the track when not plowing.

      Of course all parts need to be treated/painted and weathered yet.

       

    • February 15, 2020 8:05 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        14,489
      • Thanks
        2,490
      • Thanked
        1,469

      Siri,

      Lift the ice scraper.

Forums Modeling Modeling

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google