Large Scale Central

General update

Hey folks

I havent done an update for a while, and I know there are some issues hanging as far as bugs, etc. The company that provides the software I run LSC on has been doing a major re-write of the software. They are adding more security and spam prevention (Oh boy do I get spam), and a bunch of new features. They wont be rolling it out until fall/winter 2019, so I dont expect to even try to have it up on LSC until next year about this time. That does, however, leave us with a handful of bugs that I cannot fix myself, and that they are not going to fix because they are dropping support of the version of the codebase that we are currently running here. (we’re not THAT far behind, but we are).

Anyway, I’ll be keeping an eye on developments around this, and try to get some early screenshots so we can see what the heck the site will look like in the future.

-=Bob

Great we just got the picture and video posting down pat ! Ooo Boy …

Any place we can “see” what the major improvements are going to be?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Any place we can “see” what the major improvements are going to be?

Greg

Not yet. They havent converted all their modules, and they only have a barebones styling on the testing site. Ill see about getting some screenshots.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Great we just got the picture and video posting down pat ! Ooo Boy …

Not me(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Update. Gee when I hear that word I just cringe.

Thanks for the update about the update, Bob.

Change is inevitable, but NOT welcomed! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

I welcome change, keeps the gray matter in shape!

There’s always improvements, looking forwards to them.

Greg

Yea Greg. But you also know there are always new “special features”, A.K.A. “Bugs”.

Always true I will agree, but the net result will be improvement, even if it’s 2 steps forwards and one back.

The situation with software has never changed in my estimation, but of course I’ve only been in the business since 1969 (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Greg

So you have seen this movie before.

Yep, in CinemaScope and Technicolor

I like what we had in 2004, but then I’m a Luddite. I still use a flip phone.

Bob, I don’t give a damn what you do, I’m just grateful for the site…as long as we NEVER go back to the white backgrounds in the posts; it was killing my eyes.

Also, weird stuff going on with my Firefox. I don’t use Adblocker Plus on our LSC site here so I can help in any way I can with ad revenue, but the ads stopped showing up…just blank spaces. Until tonight. At the same time the ads started showing up here, I can’t see emails and telephone numbers on the Craiglist.

I’m happy I have a flip phone like Steve and I don’t work in the computer world.

edit: as far as movies go…To Kill a Mockingbird in color??? Twelve Angry Men in color??? Lilies of the Field ? Casablanca ? What about Grand Illusion, what about Treasure of the Sierra Madre ? No thank you.

Steve Featherkile said:

I like what we had in 2004, but then I’m a Luddite. I still use a flip phone.

Steve, I had to look up Luddite, That’s a good one(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Neo-Luddism or new Luddism is a philosophy opposing many forms of modern technology. The word Luddite is generally used as a derogatory term applied to people showing technophobic leanings. The name is based on the historical legacy of the English Luddites, who were active between 1811 and 1816.

The problem with technical Luddism is that technology marches on without you. “This is working fine” until the browsers change, or the operating system that the site runs on is no longer supported, or the hardware is ancient and is retired. Websites have to keep up with technological advances, even if they aren’t on the bleeding edge. You need to be at least current in the last few years. I can guarantee that the software that I built to start the site in 2000 wouldnt run on any modern hardware, and probably look incredibly bad on modern browsers.

Bob McCown said:

The problem with technical Luddism is that technology marches on without you. “This is working fine” until the browsers change, or the operating system that the site runs on is no longer supported, or the hardware is ancient and is retired. Websites have to keep up with technological advances, even if they aren’t on the bleeding edge. You need to be at least current in the last few years. I can guarantee that the software that I built to start the site in 2000 wouldnt run on any modern hardware, and probably look incredibly bad on modern browsers.

I’m very open to keeping up with technology!

Keep it up; ignore the naysayers…

Bob McCown said:

The problem with technical Luddism is that technology marches on without you. “This is working fine” until the browsers change, or the operating system that the site runs on is no longer supported, or the hardware is ancient and is retired. Websites have to keep up with technological advances, even if they aren’t on the bleeding edge. You need to be at least current in the last few years. I can guarantee that the software that I built to start the site in 2000 wouldnt run on any modern hardware, and probably look incredibly bad on modern browsers

A prime example of this, I purchased a $1,500.00 engineering package back in 2006 running on XP (which I really liked). Somewhere about 2012 Microsoft made changes in the XP operating system (in the dot net services I was told) that caused that software to not function. I suppose the old adage "Lead, follow or get out of the way’ seems to apply here.

Bob, thanks for the heads up on the upcoming changes. Keep us posted hopefully with some inkling of what we will be seeing. One request I would make of you as the operator, and to make the transition easier, generate a tutorial on posting photos. There are three basic scenarios of how photos are posted - Posting from Freightshed, Posting from personally owned web space (ie. I post from my gscalejunkie.com site), and Posting from Public web spaces. I would like to see this tutorial posted in the General forum and made sticky so it is always on the top of the list to make it easy for folks to find (and only editable by you to keep errors out of the tutorial). To help in the effort, I will offer to make the necessary instructions and screen clips, etc for Posting from Personal web space. Hopefully those who post from other sources will offer that same help to make the site better.

Thank you Bob for hosting the best Large Scale Forum on the net, bar none. Thank you for the time and effort you put in behind the scenes that we never see and most are unaware of.

The first rule of Luddism is: we do not talk about Luddism.

The second rule of Luddism is: we do not talk about Luddism.