Large Scale Central

Wanted: USA Trains J1e Hudson

Hello all! New guy here. I am looking for a USA Trains J1e Hudson in excellent running condition to add to my growing fleet of 3 other engines (Aristo-craft 'Lil Critter and 2 USA Trains UP GP-9s). I prefer the NYC road #5343 (the one with the silver / grayish front) but would seriously consider any road name / number. Smoke & Phoenix sound preferred.

If no forum member has one to sell I would appreciate any tips elsewhere. Have started to look at eBay and at least one large scale Facebook page.

Looks like an excellent forum and I’m glad to be here.

Thanks in advance!

‘Twister’

Dan Maloy

Welcome Dan !

Hello, Rooster!

Who’da thunk. A “Twister” in OK…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Welcome.

The best resource for buying and selling lately seems to be the G Scale Swap and Shop group on Facebook. Well, and eBay.

Welcome to LSC!

Hey Dan! Glad you made it here!

I have a few resources to check on for you, it might take a week, I know someone with several Hudsons…

Greg

(Sorry guys, can’t figure out how to multi-quote here…)

@ Ken Brunt - Haha! ‘Twister’ was my Air Force nickname. Yeah, I fit right in here in the tornado capitol of the world!

@ Eric Reuter - Thanks for the info. Been spending a lot of time on both websites lately. Driving my wife nuts already!

@ Greg - Glad to be here! I would appreciate the help if you find anything. Thanks!

There’s probably a technical way, but I open a second tab and grab the quotes to paste in my post.

Good luck in your search.

Don’t be afraid to tell us a bit more about your RR or visions Dan.

Dan, I can’t help you with your Hudson search, but welcome aboard.

Dan,

You have a private message about a USA trains Hudson.

Don

@ Rooster - My vision: would like to have both steam and diesel powered engines…steam would be a 0-4-0 switcher that could haul 5 or 6 coal cars or some logging cars and a USAT J1e Hudson to haul a much longer freight train of box cars and coal and/or ore cars; at least 20 cars to make it look good. I am aware that most Hudsons were passenger trains but they did haul some freight and freight is where my heart is. I like the variety of the kind of cars you get in freight and the grittiness/manliness of being a “working” train. The more modern portion of the railroad would be the diesels: a small switch engine, 2 UP GP-9s, 2 UP SD-45s and maybe a UP or Rio Grande SD-70 or two. (Can you tell I grew up near a UP line?..UP was towards the mountains to the east and the Rio Grande was towards the lake to the west, both separated by only about a half mile.) I don’t have a layout yet but I have to have at least a couple bridges to cross some ravines and hopefully some running water somewhere. A few industrial structures is a must, too. I go more for realistic than overly whimsical in terms of overall style.

I’ve already bought the diesel switcher and the 2 UP GP-9s and am on the hunt for the USAT Hudson. My thought is buy the locos / engines now and then I can have fun adding cars to my collection until it’s time to build the RR.

@ Dan Hilyer - Thx for the welcome!

As you plan your layout, keep your curves to a minimum 10 foot diameter since you are anticipating long locos… bigger would be better.

Greg

A great running American diesel is the LGB Davenport and was made in 2 and 3 axle versions. I also liked the USA trains 20 tonner which is no longer being made.Davenport had plenty of room for decoder/sound boards and I modified the grill for installing a 2 inch speaker.

Dan, in the “Reply” box, at the right hand side of the menu bar are a pair of quotes, and if you hover they describe themselves as “toggle blockquote”. So copy the text you want and paste it after you toggle the paragraph.

am on the hunt for the USAT Hudson

Best of luck. I ran my new K4 a couple of weeks ago - maybe time to get the AML Hudson out . . .

Dan, in the “Reply” box, at the right hand side of the menu bar are a pair of quotes, and if you hover they describe themselves as “toggle blockquote”. So copy the text you want and paste it after you toggle the paragraph.

Thanks, Pete!

Best of luck! my dad and I got lucky and hit some estates not on eBay, but Proxibid. No Hudson’s but a few Pacifics and Mikes and even a USRA mallet

Big difference in the number of them out there… lots of Aristo locos that sold in the $400 to $600 range.

A lot fewer of the $2,700 USA Trains Hudsons… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Greg

Dan, there is another option. MTH makes a very nice Hudson, the same as the USAT one, but in 1/32nd scale. My pal Jack has one and it is a very nice loco. There was one on Facebook last week for $500-ish.

Watching an auction that has a couple of these beauties.