Large Scale Central

Railway Age

I was messing about in Archive.org, and saw this series of volumes titled Railway Age. They’re huge volumes, with tons of illustrations of various developments and hi tech stuff of the day.

Railway Age

You aren’t kidding about the size of these things. I clicked into one and it i s almost 800 pages long!

The first one I clicked on was over 1800pp… Those guys had Long Attention Span Syndrome, and I wish I had it!

[edit] I’ve been clicking through vol 37, and have seen so many cool things…

A huge physical model of NY’s Penn Station (p388)

A historical article (for that time) on the first iron truss RR bridge – would be a gorgeous 3D print or laser project (p12)

Some serious woodwork for construction of a stone viaduct (p264)

Construction of NY subway stations (p376)

A historical piece on the high speed Pearson loco’s in the UK (with the huge drive wheels) (p30)

Ah, so little time…

Cliff, that’s quite a find. One could spend a lifetime just browsing, much less reading. I will be spending some time perusing those pages and yes, the iron bridge on pg. 12 would be a great model.

I used to get Railway Age for free when I worked for BNSF. Railway Age was pretty lax about free subscriptions als long as you “worked” in the industry. Super technical information, but interesting.

Ohhh, great stuff! Thanks!

Interesting, the first one in the list, on the first page at the top of the page shows the Carizzo Gorge wooden bridge down here in San Diego: (still standing, longest or highest wooden trestle existing)