Large Scale Central

Mik2019 Todd Haskins Doodlebug

The RR has been considering purchasing a Doodlebug for their light rail service days but the boys in the shop have convinced the boss that they can build one that is just as good if not better using parts that are already on hand.

The Bachmann cars will be sacrificed but are easily replaced down the road and we think the LGB motor block under the handcar will be a better choice over the aristo block.

Here are the pieces so far. Once I get my head around this a bit more the napkin sketch will be posted.

I have a strong desire for a doodlebug/railbus/railcar of some ilk. Following with interest!

Todd

I thought you would use an USA motor block …

Sean said:

Todd

I thought you would use an USA motor block …

I would prefer to use a USAT block, the wheels are a smaller diameter but I don’t have one and buying one would blow the $30 budget.

The Doodlebug napkin sketch doodle is now official with changes sure to be made once the starting bell sounds.

I still need to work out how to attach the motor block but I have ideas and how the cab and cab roof will be incorporated into the celestial roof of the passenger cars but that is part of the fun.

The doodle of the doodlebug.

Gee Todd…

Didn’t you have a block from an engine … that you have on the bench for repairs… Whink, Whink, Knod , Knod, know what I mean … (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Looks like a cool project, Todd. I will be following with great anticipation to see how you put it all together. I want to build something similar one day.

Look forward to seeing your creation

I have been working on what should have been a quick project but it turned into a longer one that still needs tweaking but that one has been shelved for now because I had to get going on this one and I finally got to cutting the passenger cars up and made some good progress today. The other project was turning a cheap RC truck into a Hi Rail truck. I will post the movie for that in the video forum.

Here we go, the major cuts have been made using my 12" mitre saw with a fine blade. What is great is that the pieces that were cut off will be used to make the cab and possibly the motor hood.

The Doodlebug will be approx. 30" long.

Next to do is to figure out how to cut the floor pieces to fit in and then to reinforce and glue the body sections together. I found a better motor block to use that I almost forgot about. 10 years ago my first attempt at scratch building a switcher was not so great and it has sat collecting dust since then. I don’t think it will mind giving up its guts for this worthy project. I will have to figure out how to make it swivel.

Stay tuned.

Holy cow that’s gonna be cool. . . Long. . . But cool. Not sure it will take the 30" diameter curves of my indoor.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

The Doodle bug is coming along nicely with more progress made this weekend.

Bracing is being added to the roof sections, the sides and floor where the 2 cars will be joined.

We ended up robbing the motor block from the the scratched switcher I had built years ago. The floor had to be cut out to accommodate the length and swing of the truck while lowering the body to match the rear truck sitting on its bolster.

This is not going to be easy but we have a plan.

By George they did it! The motor will now pivot with ease.

The body is together and glue is drying as I type this. I decided to give the first class passengers their own bathroom and stove so 2 benches were removed and those items have been added for their convenience. The No class section of the doodle bug will use the bathroom at the rear of the car where another stove is located.

I’m thinking ahead to making a head light and tail light and wiring the other truck to the motor to improve power pickup. I think I will get a cheap LED battery set to serve as interior lights.

Looks like the crew knows what they are doing. Is it as long as it looks in the picture? 18" or 24" level?

Todd Haskins said: The Doodlebug will be approx. 30" long.

looking great

Dan Hilyer said:

Looks like the crew knows what they are doing. Is it as long as it looks in the picture? 18" or 24" level?

Thanks. The crew is feeling their way along as they go. They told me to save my money and not buy a Doodlebug because they could build one just as good, I took a chance and so far so good.

I had planned on making it 30" to match my scratched passenger cars but it grew a bit and is now 32" long. I haven’t tested it on track but I built enough swing into the front truck that it should be able to negotiate a 5’diameter curve.

It is going to look totally ridiculous doing it but it should make it.

Todd Haskins said:

… and wiring the other truck to the motor to improve power pickup.

Sounds wise to me.

A bit more work was done today.

The seats were painted a medium grey and the interior walls a light grey. I made 2 side frames for the USAT motor block by taking 4 side frames from the Bachmann passenger trucks and cutting them and gluing them together to make 2 long ones. The problem is now figuring out a way to attach them but not permanently in case I need to get inside the block someday.

We need to call this something other than a doodle bug. That sounds like some little thing. This is the titanic of rail buses. I love it.

Devon Sinsley said:

We need to call this something other than a doodle bug. That sounds like some little thing. This is the titanic of rail buses. I love it.

Doodleliner ?

John Holmes Express?

Wetabug?

The Mad-a-gas-car Hissing Bug (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Actually, that kind of length is not odd, have a look at some of the cars here, http://www.northeast.railfan.net/self_prop4.html