Large Scale Central

Bachmann 2-6-0 Industrial Mogul Hauling Freight

Bachmann 2-6-0 Industrial Mogul Hauling Freight

Moving the goods and getting the job done.

Great Video , thanks for sharing with us

Dennis

Nice video Joe. Glad your railroad is nice and flat. I don’t think Indy would do so well hauling that many cars with any grades. I’ve had one on the shelf for years awaiting trail car wiring. Since that’s really only an evenings work you may have inspired me to get it out of the mothball fleet. I don’t plan on pulling more than one or two Bachmann Jackson Sharp passenger cars and the trail car up my steep grades.

Jon,

My two Indies are modified. I gutted the boilers of the smoke unit, and PCB. I added lead weight in all the domes (shot pellets sealed in with epoxy) lead ingots in the smoke box, where the PCB used to reside and behind the motor. I then rewired the loco. I removed the spring and plunger from the pilot trucks (the front drivers were too light on the rails. I also removed the cowcatchers because in some areas they would touch the rails lifting the front drivers. The cow catchers were way too low. Now they both run great and can pull a decent train even on wet rails! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

edited to add: Total weight added was 2 pounds 4 ounces. It has made quite a difference in traction. Before the added weight they couldn’t pull the skin off of rice pudding!

Good to know. Thanks Joe.

Jan has run one of these as “the President’s Special” with an all female crew ever since “Frier Fred” of the Branch Railroadians many years ago. Dave Goodson modified it with battery, the old RCS system and Sierra Sound. Pulls one Aristo coach and does a great job of inspecting the rails. It has operated on many railroads.

Those are great little engines. I sold mine to fund a live steamer, it was a hard decision.