Large Scale Central

What is a good first live steamer?

What is a good first live steam engine to get into and not spend a mint?

I know that live steam engines perform best on level tracks but if the RR has grades will adding RC to it be necessary?

Would it make sense to look at used engines to save money or will they come with problems?

Any suggestions?

I just went through that wonderment and my choice was The Ruby Kit. Wasn’t so much for the big savings as much as a way to become intimate with her as I assemble her …

I haven’t built her yet as cleaning my work bench is a priority, there’s some tiny screws… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

I have a red Jupiter, so other than painting the drivers …

Gas fired is a beginners fire, I think.

Hi Todd,

I would recommend looking for a used 1:29 scale AML USAT 0-6-0 or AML 0-4-0 dockside/tender engine. (Roughly $1k, long out of production) The detail is excellent and they match your existing equipment in scale. I have the 0-6-0 and love it! I pull 4 heavyweights with no RC. It works fine w/o, but there is plenty of room to add it later.

If you have more than a couple percent grade, I would look into the 2 cylinder shays (new is better)…

I’ve got add to look at the Accucraft 2 truck shay. A great runner and without a “rabbit start”, which produces all kinds of results.

Ooooo

The Dark side…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

There are all sorts of opinions about a good first steamer for not many $$. Unfortunately, unless you spend the $$ you don’t get a good, solid runner.

While the Accucraft Ruby is a fine model for the price, it isn’t the best runner, nor is it easy to control. One or two of their larger “small” locos, like the plantation, might be easier to run. Personally, if you like the look of the Accucraft locos, I recommend getting a $1,000 to $1,500 loco like the small Shay, 2-6-0 or 4-4-0, (which are no longer produced but available used, like the 0-6-0 or 0-4-0 mentioned already.) You’ll find them less finicky and easier to run, though they have exactly the same features as the Ruby.

I have several Regner “Easy Line” locos and they are a delight to run, especially for a beginner, as they are geared so they can pull plenty up and down hills but won’t run away too fast. The Train Dept has the Henry and the Lumberjack kit, which gives you a chance to see how it all goes together. The MSS “Brunel” from the UK is not at all expensive and is also a geared loco so it is highly suitable as a first loco.

Todd Haskins said:

I know that live steam engines perform best on level tracks but if the RR has grades will adding RC to it be necessary?

Would it make sense to look at used engines to save money or will they come with problems?

Any suggestions?

Hey Todd, if you are interested in a Regner Lumberjack I can give you a great deal on mine.

I think I ran it once last year, and once the year before that!

It is in excellent condition and I will throw in what ever parts & pieces I have with it including 2-cans of butane.

I will not ship but you are close enough to come pick it up if you want.

$900

If you go to my West Shore Railway face book page I have a video up on there of it running around my layout.

https://www.facebook.com/westshorerailway/videos/502881473218604/

Thanks,

Vinny

Roundhouse in the UK makes some excellent runners. Nearly all are British narrow gauge but there is a very nice little 040 saddle tanker in the lowere cost line.

Todd Haskins said:

Any suggestions?

I have an Accucraft Shay that I haven’t run for awhile. Easy to control on grades - it’s basically one speed; but it’s probably more than you’d like to spend.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Ooooo

The Dark side…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

By “dark side” do you mean what my bank account will look like ??

I love the idea of a live steamer but wow the cost, even for a small starter like the Ruby.

I blame Eric and his beautiful Forney on the cover of the April edition of Garden Railways that lured me in to even think about getting into live steam… LOL

I checked out the various ones that you guys mentioned and thanks for that offer Vincent but I think at this time a live steamer will be put back on that “someday” pile.

Yes they are not cheap, but loads of fun and it adds a whole new dimension to running the train. Just start setting back a little money each month instead of spending on stuff that isnt really needed, and in no time at all, you will have enough set aside for a live steamer. The Roundhouse Sammie(small 0-4-0 Porter/Baldwin tanker) is under $800 before shipping and takes about 4-6 weeks after you order it to get made and another week to get shipped usually. Well worth the price and if you dont like it, you can get your money right back out of it. Mike the Aspie

or you can save a wee bit longer for something like this.

Pete Thornton said:

There are all sorts of opinions about a good first steamer for not many $$. Unfortunately, unless you spend the $$ you don’t get a good, solid runner.

While the Accucraft Ruby is a fine model for the price, it isn’t the best runner, nor is it easy to control. One or two of their larger “small” locos, like the plantation, might be easier to run. Personally, if you like the look of the Accucraft locos, I recommend getting a $1,000 to $1,500 loco like the small Shay, 2-6-0 or 4-4-0, (which are no longer produced but available used, like the 0-6-0 or 0-4-0 mentioned already.) You’ll find them less finicky and easier to run, though they have exactly the same features as the Ruby.

I have several Regner “Easy Line” locos and they are a delight to run, especially for a beginner, as they are geared so they can pull plenty up and down hills but won’t run away too fast. The Train Dept has the Henry and the Lumberjack kit, which gives you a chance to see how it all goes together. The MSS “Brunel” from the UK is not at all expensive and is also a geared loco so it is highly suitable as a first loco.

Wow, just a month ago Robin and I asked the same thing…nobody warned me about the Ruby.

Thanks.

PS I’m not mad, just curious about different responses…

John Caughey said:

Pete Thornton said:

Wow, just a month ago Robin and I asked the same thing…nobody warned me about the Ruby.

Thanks.

PS I’m not mad, just curious about different responses…

John the Ruby is not a bad choice. The biggest issue is it’s hard to control especially on grades, but that can be side for any rod engine. Add rc to it and it will be fine .Eric Shades has a few that he modified and they run good on his layout. For the price of a Ruby you can’t beat it. The Ruby has gotten a lot of people addicted in live steam . You will hear a hundred different opinions on what to get vs not.

Eric Schade said:

Roundhouse in the UK makes some excellent runners. Nearly all are British narrow gauge but there is a very nice little 040 saddle tanker in the lowere cost line.

Yes, I probably should have mentioned that my first proper live steamer (after a pellet-fired Mamod) was a Roundhouse Argyll. They are essentially bulletproof - I still see mine running occasionally.

Nothing wrong with a Ruby, many got thier start this way as it was super affordable when it first was produced and still a good value. What helps with this newest release is it now comes with the larger diameter cylinders, which help with its runablity. It is also not “run in” right out of the box like a Roundhouse Classic series. Having a rolling road helps as you can steam on the work bench(with an old cookie sheet under to catch the dribbles and such), on the layout, a nice string of cars on the back helps tame them, as it does for any side rod engine. If you layout is ground level and not dead level, RC should be a serious consideration at this point. A company over on evilbay offers a bracket to mount the servos in the cab to control the direction and throttle. The batteries can be tucked between the frame under the cab, and the receiver tucked into the cab. Plenty of “How To’s” on the net to put RC in them. Anymore, its not what you buy, but that you take that next step and join the burnt finger brigade. And you can never have just one engine, you will find that once you learn to run the first one, attend a few steamups and see others running, the urge to save more $$ takes over! Mike the Aspie

the urge to save more $$ takes over!

Save? I wish. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Double my budget? I wish…

Sure, you don’t really need 2 kidneys, now do you? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David Maynard said:

Sure, you don’t really need 2 kidneys, now do you? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Now there’s a thought!

When I was young, no, but now that parts are failing…whoa!