Large Scale Central

Siderod guards for 45 tonners

Those side rod guards are something I don’t recall seeing before.

I don’t have a 45 tonner but this might be an idea for those who do.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/645240/

Pretty neat, but part of why I like the Bachmann Dizzies is because of the side rod action. Wouldn’t want to hide them. I’ll guess that the industry where this one worked had very close clearance or something that could get tangled in the rods requiring the guards.

More likely an incident and an OSHA inspector at work there.

That engine is in Brazil. It’s likely used in street running…

Did anyone else notice the dual couplers on that locomotive. It may be used for switching on SG, and NG…

Fred Mills

That’s cool! Great picture and superb weathering, but I agree with Jon, want to see the action of the side rods.

Fred Mills. said:

Did anyone else notice the dual couplers on that locomotive. It may be used for switching on SG, and NG…

Fred Mills

Nope. Had to go back and look.

If I had a 45 tonner I would use the guards but with a larger mesh screen than scale stretch steel.

Would want the visible motion behind the screen, thinking the visual depth would add interest.

Fred Mills. said:

Fred Mills

Good catch. Looks like the bottom coupler swings away. Also looks like the track it is on is dual gaug, compared to the front tracks that aren’t.