Large Scale Central

My video went viral!

Apparently one of my oldest videos has recently gone a bit viral. Last week I noticed it was up to 240,000 views, far more than any of my other vids. This week it’s at 430,000. It’s a nice low-angle shot of Nevada Northern #93 coming out of a tunnel:

https://youtu.be/13-kGtzO6QA

Very cool!

My best video was only 1600 hits

It was My kids and their guinea pigs predicting the superbowl in 2015 - deflate-gate!

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juyVsUt6bUM&t=1s

Now up to 435k and counting. Very cool Ray

Ray Dunakin said:

Apparently one of my oldest videos has recently gone a bit viral. Last week I noticed it was up to 240,000 views, far more than any of my other vids. This week it’s at 430,000. It’s a nice low-angle shot of Nevada Northern #93 coming out of a tunnel:

Crazy how stuff can take off like that. Too bad you didn’t attach an ad - you would have some railroad cash to spend :smiley:

Good for you, Ray. I’ve always enjoyed your videos!

John R.

Thanks!

So far I’ve avoided signing up for ads on my videos. It would be nice to make some money from them if I could, but I really dislike ads, especially when I have no control over their content. I wouldn’t want my videos being used to advertise something I might be opposed to.

Ray Dunakin said:

Thanks!

So far I’ve avoided signing up for ads on my videos. It would be nice to make some money from them if I could, but I really dislike ads, especially when I have no control over their content. I wouldn’t want my videos being used to advertise something I might be opposed to.

Ads really are a two-edged sword. For LSC, I have some Google ads, and Ive de-selected various types, but you still dont control them completely. They do add a bit of money into the fund, but I really dont like them.

Ray Dunakin said:

…It would be nice to make some money from them if I could…

Maybe, Ray. I heard at about a million views you “make” a thousand bucks, but youtube takes about half of it, and really you only seem to get money if the ads themselves are viewed, which is probably about one in ten, so you might be looking at, what?, $150 bucks for a half a million views? Then you got to pay the IRS their share because it’s income…what’s that leave? A hundred bucks when you’re all said and done. I don’t know. I only know what I’ve heard.

I know I use Adblock (it’s the greatest thing ever!) absolutely everywhere I go, including Youtube…so nobody’s making any money off my views…EXCEPT on this site, because I want to support Bob any little way I can.

John Passaro said:

Maybe, Ray. I heard at about a million views you “make” a thousand bucks, but youtube takes about half of it, and really you only seem to get money if the ads themselves are viewed, which is probably about one in ten, so you might be looking at, what?, $150 bucks for a half a million views? Then you got to pay the IRS their share because it’s income…what’s that leave? A hundred bucks when you’re all said and done. I don’t know. I only know what I’ve heard.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard too. Not that I’d turn my nose up at a little extra spending money, but with something like Youtube, I don’t like the lack of control.

Bob, the ads on this forum don’t bother me at all. They are on topic, and not overly annoying or excessive.

Not to get too far off track, but my Brother in law and his wife have successfully made themselves “YouTubers” over the last 2 years. They do travel videos, and the first year, my BIL said they made about $400-500 from ads. Now, they have 50,000 subscribers, and about an average of 12,000 videos on each of there 5 day a week videos. They get most of their money from companies trying to advertise. Josh was telling for example, Cannon cameras would put out a request for a product placement. If they got the ad contract, Cannon would send them the camera for free in return for a 10 minute video promoting the Cannon product, while doing their normal travel stuff. He expects that 2018 will see their “company” finally be in the black after 2 years.

Point being, its nice to make money on the ads, but I think its minor compared to the “free products” YouTubers are getting. Doing taxes would be insanely hard…