Large Scale Central

The Heavy flat gets bigger

Years ago I bashed a USAT depressed center flat with a Bachmann flat to make a 8 axle heavy duty flat car similar to the one that LGB made. I really liked this car but always thought the 7" long carrying deck was too short so I finally put it to the saw, chopped the deck off and made another for it at 12" long. I used wood to replicate “I” beams and a piece of plexi with about 100 holes drilled through in patterns like the USAT deck had.

The deck was also lowered near 1/2 inch which makes it look a lot better.

Here is a video that tells the story.

Todd,

The flat car came out great! I love the way it looks running through the curves of the layout. I’m also a big fan of the 0-4-0st, but I never know where to use it (since it needs a battery car on my layout)…making it into a load is a cool idea!

Also, Neat video… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks guys.

Building this car is practice for what I would really like to build and that is a 16 axle schnabel. I problem is I don’t know if my RR could handle something that big. This car made it through 8’ -10’ curves and was tested over 16000 series switches and one 12000 and it worked but was not tested through the 5’ diameter curve pinch point tunnel, yet. The over hang is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I have the typical generator load that will live on this flat. I stretched it to 12" so I would have the option to put small locos like this 0-4-0 on there. You are right Rocky the saddle tank does look really cool on there.

I see the highball signal FINALLY made it outside! Is that its final spot , or are you experimenting on that. Always love watching your videos

Pete Lassen said:

I see the highball signal FINALLY made it outside! Is that its final spot , or are you experimenting on that. Always love watching your videos

Thanks Pete, I’m glad you enjoy the videos.

The signal ball mast came out for the video then went back inside. If I had remembered it in the Spring it would have gone out for the season and back in any day now for the Winter. Oh well there is always next year.