Large Scale Central

USAT 70 Ton 3 Bay Hopper & Kadees

I recently got a used Santa Fe USA Trains 70 ton 3 bay hopper car. It was in excellent condition except for hidden frame damage. The car had been fitted with body mounted Kadee 907s on spacers with cut off trip pins, maybe to mate with other USAT cars with factory low mount couplers.

Shown below is the used car that had to be repaired that was later fitted body mount Kadee 906s to align with the Kadee 980 gauge for the intended coupler height.

USAT 70 ton Hopper In need of repair

For more into about the fix and mounting the Kadee 906s see vignette, title:
USA Trains 70 ton Hopper - Repairs & Kadees

-Ted

thanks for the write-up Ted

Richard

Very nice write up Ted, thanks for your efforts. Do you really find it necessary to use all four of the Kadee mounting points, or is that done in this case to help reinforce the damaged car frame?

Its a shame that with all of the detail work that manufactures put into these things, that the manufacturers get the ACI plates so friggen wrong.

Yes, I do agree, with the ACI plates and other details, roller bearing trucks are more appropriate under this car.

Nice write up, and thanks for sharing.

Thank you Richard Bob and David.

Bob,

The 4th screw used at the center of the Kadee 906 box was as you said to reinforce the damaged / repaired area of the car.

Though it’s typical to mount the 906 box at the side ears and maybe at the tail, too; on some other type cars, I mounted box using only 2 screws at the inline holes.

David,
As to using roller bearing trucks on the USAT 70 ton hopper; it’s a real dilemma! On the one hand as the car is decorated, yes; it’s appropriate; but given the car itself is based on and scaled to the 1950s era prototype being a shorter car than the ones with roller bearing trucks - not to mention the number of braces, the friction bearing trucks are appropriate.

-Ted

Ted Doskaris said:

David,
As to using roller bearing trucks on the USAT 70 ton hopper; it’s a real dilemma! On the one hand as the car is decorated, yes; it’s appropriate; but given the car itself is based on and scaled to the 1950s era prototype being a shorter car than the ones with roller bearing trucks - not to mention the number of braces, the friction bearing trucks are appropriate.

-Ted

Well…Sort of. Roller bearing trucks were mandated in the late 60’s. Different weights cars had different mandatory dates. By the time ACI plates had become mandated, all freight cars in interchange service were to have roller bearing trucks. But roller bearing trucks first came into use in the 1930’s IIRC. So while they weren’t common in the 1950’s, some cars were riding on roller bearing trucks in the 50’s.

Also, if the car was in deed a 1950’s era car, if it lasted till the ACI plates came into use, it would have had to have roller bearing trucks put under it. And since freight cars usually have a lifespan of 40 years (or more), its plausible that it is a 1950’s era car, that has survived into the next era. Except for one pesky detail. Painted on the side of the car is “NEW 1-72”.

Ok. I am done picking nits, for now.

Yes David,

The dilemma here is of the ATSF Santa Fe livery. I have yet to locate such a car like that of the USAT 70 ton hopper that Santa Fe actually had. (Santa Fe did have some older style “Offset” braced 3 bay hoppers). So not only is the build date at issue, the ATSF road name is too.

That said, I am aware that some railroads did retro fit their older cars that the USAT 70 ton hopper represents to roller bearing trucks.

I still like the car and for now keep it with the friction bearing trucks.

-Ted