Large Scale Central

MDC Southern Pacific Boxcar

Greetings to all,
I currently operate a G, O and HO scale hands on operation model railroad and train safety program for kids and on occasion we are donated products from collections.
Even though most products are around 1/29th scale, some don’t match the larger LGB, Aristocraft, Bachmann, USA, etc.) trains we operate.
A suggestion was made on the general forum to post photos and information about this Southern Pacific, MDC boxcar on the live steam forum. We are interested in parting with this car due to its size difference that I believe to be 1/32nd scale or thereabouts.
I was informed that it is 1/32nd scale and most live steam models are also this size.
We would much rather trade for an LGB or Aristocraft (longer, more modern) flatcar, (with or without a load), that can haul a large truck we have or whatever load it may currently have. It will be used for kids to see and operate on our BNSF freight train. (No box necessary) Car must however be in great shape with no scratches, damage or missing parts.
We would sell this MDC boxcar if we are able to financially obtain some type of similar flatcar for the price/shipping somewhere else.
Car has never been run and has the stirrups/brake wheel and instructions all inside a package at the end of the box. Box is ok but not 100% perfect.
One important note,
Since I take care of a sick mother, it can be hard for me to get to town, 30 miles away. So we go to town every 2 weeks only. The car is packed and ready to ship but be aware of this delay time in shipping. It may be sooner or later depending on when we were in town last.
If you need more information, don’t hesitate to contact me on this post or email for a phone number or more photos. I will do my best to contact you as soon as I can get to it.

Sorry for the inconvenience but we always seem to have trouble posting photos on this site. We attempted posting photos for hours and continually received error messages even after resizing so you’ll have to email me for photos if interested. Once again, our apologies.There is absolutely nothing we can do.

[email protected]
Hope it was ok to post here as I was told to do so.
All the best! Ken

c/o Imagination Station Kids On Track Model Railroad And Train Safety Program
(A Child’s Gateway To Imagination)

E. Helena, Montana 6024F17

This is the message we keep getting,

We’re sorry!

We are currently experiencing some technical issues. Please try again or report this to your site administrator using the contact form.

Administrator: Please check the error log in your admin panel for more information regarding this error.

Error Code: a4bcfa

Plus 19 other codes.

Besides having problems with pictures…

And the site is fine at the moment, I’m pretty darn sure you are supposed to post the for sale stuff on the for sale forum. Unless it’s Bob McCown telling you this, I would politely ignore that advice.

How about putting the link to the picture here? Then we can tell you what is wrong with your link.

By the way here is a 4 page post on posting pictures: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/20241/picture-posting-help-for-rick-marty

It is a sticky on the website forum (scary logic huh?)

Greg

I currently only own a smartphone and I have found most of the advice given on how to solve website issues (about 90%) fails to work with today’s modern smartphones.
They just don’t have any similarities to a desktop or laptop (regardless) and the solutions to problems are extremely different.
For example; The posting of photos on this site with a smartphone creates a astronomical problem because when you try using the attachment buttons it takes you to a mobile page that simply will not work at all, with a few minor exceptions. Then, you go to; view full computer site and it gets even crazier, where you spend 3 hours uploading photos with errors, malfunctions and rerun screens, etc. only to have another complete failure.
Then there is the issue of trying to post photos when your albums are full. You cannot post photos on this site anywhere if your personal albums are full, as mentioned in the link you sent me by other parties.
To post further photos you must delete photos out of your albums first. I know this is true because I have had to do it several times and the administrator has backed this up in an email to me.
I no longer post photos on outside sources due to my previous issues with Photobucket’s cascade of problems with smartphones also.
I can’t find a photo posting site that is smartphone user friendly, even though they have apps. and claim to be trouble free.
We as a program are not able to afford Internet service other than what is connected to the smartphone and still offer services free of charge to kids and families.
We run WAY in the red continually and have to give up a lot of luxuries to keep going as it gets financially harder every year. So there is no other option for us unless we want to drive 30 miles to town every time we wish to visit this site.
I think there is major compatability problems between smartphone technology and this sites software.
I don’t know much about site administration but I do know the person that suggested that we post this on the Live Steam Forum has been a member here for a long time, so we didn’t think anything of it.
Another member has offered to post the photos for us if we would email them to him and we have done so, as of today.
I want you to understand something; we are not here to create problems, we are here to promote G scale to the community as we have been doing for 28 years now. The reasons we chose this site to do it had to do with community suggestions, manufacturer input, accessibility, popularity of the site, links, and general program interactive ideas as well as other G scale modelers that use this site and like it’s professionalism and the help and information they are able to obtain and/or offer.
There are additional posting issues in regards to double posts, once again off of smartphones, plus new posts and/or replies automatically posting without knowledge of the user or posting automatically upon leaving the page (without touching the post button) for link additions or further information to add to the post.
These are both new problems I’ve personally encountered many times with different smartphones here.
Another example; Once, some time back, I hadn’t even typed more than one word, and a title and it posted the whole thing even after I cancelled the new post completely.
All I could do is go back to edit, then delete the text and add something I had no intention of placing on the site in the first place.
We would like to keep our program information on this site but I am not sure it’s working out so well as we can’t seem to get things to operate in a manner that is satisfactory or acceptable to the system. I don’t know if this has anything to do with smartphone incompatibility, service area problems, site issues or a combination of all of these but we want the same thing for the community as any other member as well as the owners and administrators of the site. This is simply to have a place where the garden scale community can share ideas, get help, post advise, photos and videos, promote the hobby and engage with others in conversations about G scale trains.
I get calls from train many manufacturers every week who tell me they have checked us and the site out and are impressed.
Once again we have no ill intentions or desire to commercialize the site or use it for any personal gain other than promotion of the hobby to kids and their families as well as offer what advice, if any, we have that might have that may help someone else out.
We just want to help were we can and try our best to share the garden scale railroading hobby with the public to keep the hobby alive in this electronic media world.
Apologize for the long post but we have to feel out the way members react so we don’t make anyone feel taken for granted, insulted, angered or unhappy.
Appreciate the use of the site and I guess the future will tell.
All the best!
Thanks!
Ken c/o Imagination Station Kids On Track Model Railroad And Train Safety Program TM
E. Helena, MT

Here is Ken’s pics. If need be, I am sure Bob can move the topic to the for sale forum. Mike

Mike,
Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated.
Ken

It’s ‘about’ 1/24th scale. I had a raft of 'em [that’s about thirty, BTW] to haul behind a couple of LGB White Pass dismals a few years back.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

POCRR Member #2

It seems to be about Lionel size. (whatever that is) In one photo you can see a Bachmann Gold Belt gondola behind it and it’s considerably larger in comparison than this car. It’s also much wider.
Ken

Accept that it is 1:24, in spite of it being new in box, it’s not worth much, by demand. Those of us who model by scale won’t have much to trade. While I model in 1:24, I don’t need boxcars and I won’t trade my orphan ATSF cattle car w/ metal wheels for that ‘old plastic’ car. I’m denoting old plastic that may have degassed the chems that keep it pliable …

I just picked up 2 gently owned 1:24 flatcars for $35 each, a tad less than I paid for that CC.

For top dollar, put it back in the box and contact TCA (the Train Collectors of America), your beat up box may fetch more… downplay that the car has been out of the box…

John

Yea your probably right,
Just thought someone may model this scale or something.
I wonder what happens to these type of unpopular items? We received it in a collection.
Oh, well, it’ll be here if anyone is interested.
Ken

It seemed to me that you were investing too much time in an odd ball car. When I hear/see ‘used’ I’m thinking major discount.

I suppose they go to the kiddie set for hands on demolition! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Happy Rails,

John

Ken,
As your being totally reliant on a smart phone, did you actually type those long text posts using it? If so, you deserve much praise. With my Samsung Galaxy S5 smart phone, the virtual keys and sensitivity are such, I can’t even get one sentence done without back correcting almost every other entered character. It’s truly dreadful to use it. Sensitivity of finger use varies to no response to over response.

Thank you,
-Ted

Yea John,
Kinda like the paint job, be nice if it was available in a larger more detailed model.
Maybe it’ll just be a shelf queen or something. Maybe a giveaways at a show or event.

Ted,
Kinda funny actually, I have the same phone and it ran 3 posts meant for another issue together and posted stuff I didn’t realize it was posting and the auto correct drives me nuts, not to mention that the phone can’t spell and punctuate properly. It adds stuff I don’t want and takes away stuff I need.
Technology?
Someday back to the desktop or whatever comes along by then.