Large Scale Central

Train Show July 8-9 Pomona CA anybody?

Like it sez above. Any interest? I know the outdoor layout is always on display, but is anything large scale happening indoors? Layouts? Vendors? I keep missing the winter shows because we are out of the area.

I plan on going on the 8th

I will be there on Saturday as a regular civilian, no displays, the Pizza is still buried in the garage and with all the reorganizing at home the Schmatterhorn is nowhere near complete. According to the website the Door Hollow will be there this time.

Vic, Bob, we should meet unter der linden. I have no idea what that means (actually I do, but it has nothing to do with us). Alls I have to do is convince myself to drive to Pomona where it’ll prolly be hot from SB where it is always cool, more so than we’d like, but it’s sunny, mostly, when it’s not foggy.

10 day forecast is sunny and hot for the 8th, if I can swing it I might try to go on Friday and help the Door Hollow crew set up, but I’m not sure yet.

The Door Hollow Shortline will be there and the Del Oro will also be there, so that’s two G layouts inside to go with the outdoor Fairplex layout. There are only 7 layouts inside total this year.

Scratch that on the Del Oro being there, I just looked at the website for the GTE and they’re not listed, rather surprised at that, they are always at these shows.

Due to the heat expected this weekend I’m passing on the show.

That’s probably okay Bob, I think most of the usual G vendors will be at the NGRS in Tulsa which is next week.

Too bad about the Del Oro club not being there. That’s worth the price of admission alone, especially if you haven’t seen the layout and the club members’ trains before. I can imagine that it’s a LOT of work setting up that layout.

According to Upland Trains, both vendors (ex:them) and layouts were turned down for lack of space, which tells me that they are in one of the smaller halls.

Upland Trains are having a big in-store sale that same weekend. So if you are going to the show might be worth stopping by there as well.

The Del Oro club is good at promoting the hobby to the public. All they have to do is show up and set up (easier said than done). The members run trains and stand and sit around the layout, making themselves available for questions. It’s obviously a business and the people putting on the show are primarily interested in the $ by renting more spaces to vendors instead of accommodating large layouts.

I saw these guys during the NGRC in the Bay Area last year and was really impressed. Good people. I procured quite a few peanut M&M’s out of the M&M hopper cars waiting on the sidings!

Has anyone found a list of vendors at the show?

I haven’t been able to find a vendor list. They used to publish a hall map and vendors list, but with their newest web update it’s no longer available.

Hope this works, found a place that has the hall map

http://a83.fe4.myftpupload.com/exhibitorarea/

Go to Pomona and vendor floor plan. It’s by name not business but it looks like a packed hall.

And only one “G” scale layout… looks like it is turning into a toy train show.

Greg

But if they are selling the “toys” people wants, at the price theys will pay, whats the problem?

Hey Greg, the ZoCal crew got bumped as well I see.

Yep, they got the same story, not enough space… it’s BS… well, it’s actually true if you put it in their terms:

based on maximizing profit for the show, the ideal case is as many paying vendors as possible, and the smallest amount of space to “freeloaders” like layouts, who don’t pay. They realize the layouts are a draw, but as more and more of these shows turn into swap meets for people already in the hobby, I think you will see the trend continue.

Many people bring kids to see the layouts, but I think they don’t usually buy. The hobbyists I see don’t usually have kids. Just my opinion.

Greg

Yea Greg, we see a lot of kids at the layout when we set up at the Greenberg shows. I also see several familiar faces, folks who come to see the layouts. Whether they buy anything or not, I don’t know.