Large Scale Central

Accucraft N&W J611 Arrival

Today, ahead of schedule, my N&W J611 arrived. I had selected the alcohol fired version. Upon unpacked, I was greeted by a beautiful and quite massive Northern locomotive. There is a review to come in SitG, but I would like to go ahead and mention two points. Unlike past Accucraft locomotives, the J has its steam oil lubricator mounted under a running board and this avoids the undesirable steam oil journey down the superheater. The second feature is a whistle. Haven’t run the loco yet, so the whistle sound is as yet unknown. But, in any case, bravo to Accucraft for including it.

I’m looking forward to my first run in the next day or two!

Ross Schlabach

Looks great, good luck with it!

Thanks Vince for putting the pic up so everyone can see it – even without signing on!

Ross Schlabach

Beautiful!

NICE!

Looks like they did a very nice job on this locomotive! Thanks for taking the photo Ross.

That is a nice looking steamer. Accucraft has been producing some real nice stuff.

drooble…

tac

OVGRS

Ross, I just tried to play the movie you posted over on the other site, but received this message instead ’

‘Due to international licensing agreements it has not been possible to play this movie in your region - Sorry!’

Pity, that.

tac

OVGRS

Hmmmm. Just tried it again, WITHOUT going with the MLS version, and it played perfectly. V. odd.

It’s a real beauty, that’s for sure, and I’m very impressed with the slow-speed running which I think is more interesting to watch than the more usual G1 gallop. l

I saw the prototype at the Llanfair show last year, and the only thing that stopped me putting my hand in my pocket there and then was poverty.

Enjoy!

tac

OVGRS

Hah, figured it out. The first time I tried it was on my own desktop PC - a Japanese model. Second time was on mrs tac’s laptop - a Western model.

Doh.

tac

OVGRS

You read Japanese? Cool.

No more’n anybody else who is not Japanese. Why?

tac

OVGRS

Oh, you said you had a Japanese computer. My friend’s Korean phone had all the settings menus in Korean. I just thought that yours would have all the settings menus in Japanese if its a Japanese computer.

No, the Japanese keyboard is almost the same as the Western version, but with a few other keys for converting Romanji into Japanese. So, in order to use a computer in Japan, you must also learn Romanji - the English-character analogue for written Japanese. Every Japanese schoolchild does this a a matter of course. Romanji is Japanese written using the English [Roman] alphabet - the suffix -ji simply means 'in the manner of]. If you read a book in which the Japanese character speaks Japanese, his Japanese words are written using the English alphabet - as in ‘Gomen nasai, David-san’ - [so sorry, honourable David]. Needless to say, a Japanese computer handles ordinary English just as well, but might lack a few other keys not found on a Western keyboard - no £ sign, no Euro sign, no umlaut sign or any other European language diacritical mark. Emoticons cannot either be made or displayed - when you post one, all I see is a little hollow square, like you typing a non-Western language for which your PC is not set up.

For instance, if you type in ‘sayonara’, that is in Romanji four syllables - sa, yo, na and ra. The computer, using fuzzy logic, then produces Japanese characters on the screen approximating to the word, bearing in mind that there are multiple meanings for the various - 6000+ - Japanese symbols in common use. If the word in Japanese doesn’t make sense to you, then you press the ‘retry’ key, and it offers you another choice until it shows the one you expect.

This happens as fast as you type, and Japanese people of my acquaintance type just as fast [or slow] as we do. The cellphones work the same way, which is why your Western cellphone will not work in Japan. This has led to a thriving business growth at airports,where you can rent or buy your cellphone.

Western computers are not interchangeable in any way with Japanese computers, since Western computers use Microsoft OS and not one derived from the need offer variations of the different meaning of a syllable expressed as a pictograph. Apple computers use neither OS nor Japanese-version fuzzy logic, and are not very popular in Japan where they are a VERY expensive fashion statement.

So there are a number of locations in Metro-Tokyo where you have to go to get your Western machine fixed, if and when it goes wrong.

Incidentally, the company I worked for in Tokyo, for almost eight years, would not allow Apple products of any kind into the building - cellphones, laptops, netbooks, whatever. Not being a fan, that was fine by me, but it was a surprise to find that Sony products were equally unwelcome in government agencies. I know why, but this is neither the place nor the context to explain it.

mrs tac has a couple of Western pcs, but my desktop, a four Tb device, is staying right here.

tac

OVGRS