Large Scale Central

Part the Second; Off the dirt

60 years later I heard Mom, ‘John R, get out of that dirt!’ … I ripped out all the old cribbing and mine structure in/on the ground…

When I’m not just letting one run, I’m going to try to keep 2 trains moving…

The lower level track (above) leads to the car barn, it will be raised and tied in.

The board is a temporary ground to see what track I have and might want to do for the passing siding.

Now I have an option and I’m open to suggestions. As you can see above, the switch is a lefty, I have enough 10’D curve to move that switch

to the left of the junction switch. The obvious ramification is a dedicated route through the Reverse loop. The shorter passing track is plenty long for my short trains.

I’m leaning towards the full green because I want to add a grade to this route, earning the name; The High Line.

Reflection? Nope, copper oxide turns the stream blue.

John

A lot of changes John. Good progress. Don’t forget to leave room for the Bell Worms

Thanks Rich, I keep my eyes peeled, but it’s been too hot for them during the day.

Regarding the switch location, I pressed ahead…

Happy Rails,

John

looks good John. One of these days I will make the hop from Phx to see what you are doing in person

Sure Pete and battery powered trains are welcome here … but I’d wait until I’m past the ‘drawing’ stage. I lay out what I have … I draw with track sections.

I ran a toy around today, it derailed at every switch, but in between she was high ballin’.

She jumped the switch, yet her vacation was cut short but fragmented track…

6 C batteries and I turned off the sound in 10’!

I’m not complaining, a pleasant find in the Surprise Box Prize. Thanks Dave.

Happy Rails,

John

As I said above, I use the track to doodle my ideas, well I’ve been doodlin’

As you see above I moved the High Line switch. Although it goes down now in the mock up, the line will live up to it’s name and climb above the narrows hugging a cliff at the talus line. The wiggles will be subtle and so short I think I can omit long straights in between…

I have some 8’D curves that I’ve unbent and repurposed. The far straight bit was a 8’ S I used channel locks and my knee to get there.

The Narrows is following a wash, jumping from side to side. The high line was the cheapest way to get from A to B. Later after the mine prospered we could afford the bridges for the narrows…

Going into another week of 100s temps, my progress will come in short bursts with a time outs.

See ya,

John

I understand about heat. Ours is not as hot as yours, but low 90’s is hot for us! Morning work only. I like your wiggles. Wouldn’t work for me as I have long heavyweights, ABA diesels, and a couple of big steamers. But I like the look of what you are doing. Fun watching your posts.

That’s really looking nice John, Being off the ground really makes it stand out. Before it kind of hid in your terrain like one of those rattlers. I like the choice you made on the high line too. That will certainly add some interest. Your wavy straights should really go a long way to not letting the sun mess up you nice straight main line. I have a place I need to put an expansion joint due to that, but your cures can just swell and contract with the days fluctuations. Watching with interest.

John,

Every time I see your layout, I love it. Your use om materials is just awesome. It shows that the “right” way isnt the only way

Between 100+ days and fierce Monsoons I’ve done a bit here and there. Yesterday was out back cutting blocks for risers and cleats. I took a lunch break and then the thunder came…

Today I spent the morning policing my property picking up blown trash and drying out what was in the can… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)then after lunch I played a hunch and changed the route of the high line. It’s going to swing wide around the mountain the narrows’ wash navigates. David M. is not the only cheap bast er frugal person, my railroad lives on a shoestring…

Try as I will, the second line keeps getting in phase with the other matching the wiggles, oh woe.

I will have to cut me some track to change the patterns…

Oh yeah about that shoestring … the tightwad at the top has declared that we will use the Gilpin trestle design to gain elevation. The mine will supply over burden for the fill that will bring them up to common standards…

As you can see, we be cheap!;

Built above ground with as little wood as possible. Management is the only one sleeping soundly at night… Seems the caboose riding car men are jittery…

John

Stopped in at my train store… Gee where did all the G go? Only going to carry track? No split jaws … Piko brass thingies instead, the allen wrench looked smaller than a millimeter! Not on my Stainless!

Bought 2, 1 footers of stainless…

This is the only way I can get the wiggles from falling in sync. The track on the right will go up and down over a ‘pass’.

I knew you’d like my dream…

John

Where did the G go? I asked that the last time I was at Randell’s Toys and Gifts. I guess our niche isn’t as profitable as it used to be.

Yeah it’s funny, in a land far away and long ago, I saw G running around the ceiling of an Ace Hardware store. I asked about it and they sent me to their sister store up the road … I bought my starter set and a 20 x 30’ oval of SS track in an Ace Hardware Store!

The G led to other scales being added and The Hobby Place became a separate store next to the Hardware Place! Oh well, parts 1 and 2.

It stopped raining, although the flash flood warnings remained on, I wasn’t worried. I settled on the final (like Devon, subject to change, what do you think?) plan!

I finally got back to the short squiggles I spoke of in that lost land of hmmmm, said he on the Ponder chair. The plank isn’t where it will end up and the high line does get raised up …

Now that my Ace isn’t in the hole, I have a problem; no joiner screws in SS! I only need a dozen! That and a couple of split jaw clamps … uh oh! I fear slippage is coming; where will I look … hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

John,

I have a ponder chair, But unlike yours being empty, mine remains occupied for far too long.

Every picture you post I just love your layout. It is breaking all the rules and I love it. We see pictures of all these beautifully manicured layouts, but yours so fits your environment and them. It is just simply cool.

Devon Sinsley said: John, I have a ponder chair,

Devon's pondering chair

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

I have one of those also but the dang thing is broken.

Devon Sinsley said:

I have one of those also but the dang thing is broken.

Devon before he became Large , hence the broken pondering chair!

That isn’t my Ponder Chair, I have a seat from the old Comisky Ball Park. My brother bought it for Dad and I mounted it on a redwood platform so he could back his walker to it.

Raising the pike let’s me have a Work Chair. That folder goes where ever needed. Yesterday I sat and screwed the track together. What a relief from bending over.

Today I’m headed to town, results from my final PT scan are in… 4 years from treatment, if clear, the Cure becomes official.

Should I celebrate with a Jackson Sharp coach on a 20% discount? Nope I think it’s the advanced critter control from my friend Del. The automated station stops add life to a set routine and with the passing sidings in this layout I should be able to dodge it with the freight under active control.

That’s it, I Devonize it! Whaddya think? translation= let others kibitz and then embrace some foolishness before I return to my idea.

Rules??? We have rules??? An artist only has the rules of nature, convention be damned! I don’t need no stinking rules!

John

Ponder chair? Is that similar to my moaning chair, the one I use when things go FUBAR? If I sit in it for 20 minutes or so, moaning loudly, things don’t seem so bad, anymore.

I tried to use it once during surgery aboard ship, but the patient got nervous. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

John,

I have a ponder chair, But unlike yours being empty, mine remains occupied for far too long.

So, you are a secret Butt Modeler too?