Large Scale Central

Locomotive carrying case..

I take my Modular RR to about 5or 6 shows a year. I have all along carried my locomotives in their original boxes. So on a 3 Truck shay I am always unplugging the wires between the tender and the locomotive. Well I have had one of the wire pull loose. I can get it to work but Its a pain.

So I am making a box so I can leave these all hooked up. I have been thinking about this for a while. One of the other things the box must be is less than 10.25" tall so it will fit in my trailer shelves.

So Here goes. I bought cabinet grade 1/2" plywood. The Shay is about 4.5" wide. So I am making this box 5.5" wide inside dimension and total height of the box 10"

I cut grooves in the base so the wheels of any locomotive or car will roll in just like track. Then I went to the 4" belt sander and sanded one bottom end to an angle. trying to get the angle so a locomotive will roll in easily. The I relieved the wood on the bottom so that it would fit between the rails . It actually works pretty well. Once the base was done I then installed the sides and one end to the box.

Now I have to finish the box up…Stay tuned…

I like the way that you cut in the base to allow the track to notch in there.

I had the same issue with my 3 truck shay so I built a tote for it. It was supposed to look like a bridge and when the engine is on the shelf you can still see it. I couldn’t cut in grooves like you did but I made a long ramp that fits onto either end. My tote and engine doesn’t travel like yours does but slipping in some foam here and there should keep it from damage.

Nice job.

Thanks Todd,

I like that tote you made too. I had thought about a ramp also but my issue was trying to get the locomotive out of the box without using the a ramp due to space. my straights on the layout maybe long enough but crushing scenery was the issue for me if I got too long. Trying to keep down the width was also a concern for storage… Yes I will use some custom cut foam to keep the loco in place…

thanks Ty

Well it took me to the third one to get the ramp down to where it is perfect. They are all functional but the last one looks the best. The height of the blade making the groves is the difference. Once they were built They were painted and stained. The plywood i bought was primed on one side and natural on the other. I put the primed side to the inside and it was painted a flat black. The exterior was stained and then the whole thing was given a coat of satin polyurethane…For a end I used 14/20 threaded rod glued into the box and a wing nut holds the end in place…

Looks like a good sturdy unit. Persistence pays off. The dark stain goes with the loco very nicely.

Thanks Randy,

I will find out how well it works this weekend. I have a train show Friday and Saturday…

ty

I want to make something like that, but I need conductive strips because mine are sparkies.

David , I am not sure what you mean. All mine are electric. They push right into the box with one finger…the transition is very smooth…

Ty

Oh, I was thinking to run them into the case, under power, there would need to be conductive strips on mine. I don’t usually push my locomotives around, it makes them mad. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David,

A while back a number of members built this engine carrier using aluminum angle for the base. This design does allow you to drive your engine in and out of the case.

Maybe someone can point you to the posting.

Doc Watson

I saw that one, now that you mention it.

All very good carriers, I made one like Doc Watson also. My concern is weight, so I stripped mine down to the basics. Mine is just to carry to the layout, not to other layouts, since most are far away. Velcro strips hold it down. I carry the tender out by itself. MTH Big Boy. Just finished one for my Challenger and Daylight, again just for the loco to minimize handling.

I tried to keep it simple.

I have some 1/4" brass angle coming to put next to the center strip so there is less friction pushing it out. I like this that just the flanges touch.

Jerry and all,Here is the Carrier that I made for My T1.I have always wanted a Pennsylvania T1 so it had to be a special case. https://youtu.be/PNVgTZWKlZw?list=UU4mlKkJ-ap3qC322rMN3sNQ

Jeese Bob … that is just darn crazy!

Are there hidden handles too?