Large Scale Central

Source for plastic tubing?

My steam oil syringe finally bit the dust. I picked up a pack of new oiling syringes from Amazon cheap enough, but they come with a metal tip that is just too small for thick steam oil. I wasn’t successful at getting the tubing off the old syringe in usable condition. If my micrometer is telling the truth I’m pretty sure I need 1/8" ID clear tubing.

I found several items on Amazon and the price is OK, but I don’t really need 100 feet for $9.42. There is another brand with a much thinner wall of 10 feet for $7.62 making the 100 feet product look more attractive. 1 Foot is more than I need, but if that costs $5 I’d still buy the 100 and give most of it away.

Any alternative ideas before I pull the trigger on that 100 foot roll?

I would think that anyone who sells model airplanes would have tubing for fuel lines.

Tom

I am not sure if you could use the clear plastic stuff they sell at the pet store for aquariums or not.

Try Lowe’s (or Home Depot). They sell repair kits for chainsaws, trimmers, leafblowers that include the tubing for the fuel lines.

They may also have that size in the Plumbing dept. on reels that you can cut off what you need.

Pretty sure that’s where I got mine.

Thanks - I’ve tried Michael’s Crafts and Lowes plumbing dept. Lowes had larger sizes, but not the tiny stuff. I didn’t look at the chain saw repair kit, but I’m guessing that’s going to be more than $10.

I hadn’t thought of a hobby store. My local shop is a disaster, but there is a good Hobby Town in the next town North.

Aquarium Air Hose … Well my wife keeps aquariums so I’ll check that out first - Maybe I can steal a few inches.

Thanks!

I use an all plastic syringe with a peice of brass tubing shoved in as an extension… Works like a charm. K&S tubing is available at any hobby shop and craft store.

Hey John, PM me your address. I have a box full of some type of surgical hook tubes up for getting an IV. We don’t need them any more and I can send a set your way. I think it may be just about right. There is 3 or more feet of 2 different sizes. One is probably 1/16 id.

I also do as Eric suggested, use cheap plastic syringe available at boat builders here in Maryland for applying epoxy, and push a brass tube into the end. Use to extract used oil and put new oil into the oiler.

Jerry

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Hey John, PM me your address. I have a box full of some type of surgical hook tubes up for getting an IV. We don’t need them any more and I can send a set your way. I think it may be just about right. There is 3 or more feet of 2 different sizes. One is probably 1/16 id.

Thanks Randy - PM sent. Marilyn had shoulder surgery in mid December and I was in the recovery room when they took out the IV. Forgot to ask for the tubing that they must throw away.

Eric Schade said:

I use an all plastic syringe with a peice of brass tubing shoved in as an extension… Works like a charm. K&S tubing is available at any hobby shop and craft store.

Thanks Eric. I never though about using rigid tubing since my old one used flexible tubing. I may have something laying around that will work. The syringes I bought came with a metal tube, but the ID is just to small to move steam oil quickly. It will do it, but takes minutes to empty the 10ML syringe.

Im getting into this late but I have some I can send you Jon. If you ever need anything let me know. I have all sorts of stuff stocked up.

Thanks Shawn -

Randy is sending some. If that doesn’t fit I’ll let you know and we can try yours (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)