Large Scale Central

The Legend of the Napkin Drawing

Two posts in a week. I blame Rooster and BobCo for this transgression.

Here is the link to the story of how the napkin drawing came to be. It might not be completely accurate but it is how I remember it.

https://cibolalmrr.wordpress.com/miks-build-challenge/the-napkin-drawing/

If you have a different version of reality feel free to chime in just don’t expect me to choose between you and the voices in my head.

Boomer

Seems to be about spot on from recollection. You may have down played his self exaltedness, but I’m sure we’ll let that slide. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

i don’t know, or remember, if that story is true…

… but it sounds good enough, to be the truth, nothing less than the truth and a truth we can live with!

(WB, Boomer, and nice site you got there.)

Its true, its all true…

I have to say great write up about the history. I loved it.

I forgot about “that guy.” Wasn’t he the guy who claimed to have a huge library of extremely rare original railroad plans and further claimed to be selling them among other elite “aficionado” planner type guys for thousands of dollars? And as near as anyone could tell he didn’t even have a shelf collection let alone a real layout?

that would be Railroad Blue Prints, John. Rare RR Blue Prints. And nothing else. but he may have stayed at a Holiday Inn once

Don’t remember his name but I do know he used a screen name like Ann L Retention or White Pussy or something like that. I think I pissed him off on one of his posts cause I told him I had models in a museum. Aahhhh that probably isn’t what upset him anyway it was more than likely just my kindhearted general demeanor. But I will concur with the story Boomer.

Wait? who’s Boomer?

Welcome back Boomer! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Whatever happened to the “Grand Railroad” that we would all hear about someday? I wasn not a part of the original flurry but was mad aware of it when I used the term rivet counter and did not realize the negative connotation it brought with it thanks to this fine sale modeler. . .uh um (jack ass).

Thanks Boomer. That was fun to remember with you.

Welcome Home Boomer!!!

I think that I made his Sh#t List, when I told him that we re-built 315’s tender from hand drawn planes, and it was better then the original. Blasamy It could not be better cause we didn’t re-use the original Blue Print, even if it did have an error in it, we should of built in the error, YOU CAN’T build anything correctly with out the blue print that he was willing to sell you for a big profit.

Thanks Boomer. BTW, Green Chile Cheese burger w/ fries for lunch.

Dave Taylor said:

I think that I made his Sh#t List, when I told him that we re-built 315’s tender from hand drawn planes, and it was better then the original. Blasamy It could not be better cause we didn’t re-use the original Blue Print, even if it did have an error in it, we should of built in the error, YOU CAN’T build anything correctly with out the blue print that he was willing to sell you for a big profit.

Thanks Boomer. BTW, Green Chile Cheese burger w/ fries for lunch.

So the truth comes out that Dave pissed him off.

This all your fault Dave!

Welcome Back Boomer… :slight_smile:

Boomer has it almost straight, but those are the basic facts. If you want the truth-truth, start in this thread

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/8174/purpose-of-this-forum/view/post_id/231018

Read the third post in that thread, my reply, and his reply a few down from there. This was this guys FIRST POST to the site. I replied in public with what I did (the post below his first one) and sent him the following email:

A word to the wise.

You’re really not going to make any friends here with the attitude that people that share their research and what they work on are fools. Being part of LSC you are expected to show a bit of decorum and mutual respect for everyone on the site, and you will be accorded the same. I run LSC for fun, because I love the hobby. People that join who have an axe to grind, a chip on their shoulders, or a “my way is the right way” attitude don’t last long here.

You’re welcome to be part of the site, but your first post hasn’t won you any friends.

He replied to that email with this:

Bob, delete me. delete everything, the last thing I want to do is talk one of of those goofs later on. Your guys are all what the rivet counters that buy and use blueprint sets call “napkin builders”. Meaning they will use sketchs and napkin drawings to build to. I am a blueprint builder, and thats like fire and water together, it doesn’t work. I went through the forum and did not find one useful bit of info or posted drawing that I could use. If I stayed, I’d never find a thing in that list of guys, we are going in different directions. I think if you had a reliable way to keep the “napkin builders” out, you’d be a lot happier in the long run, but do what makes you happy, and thanks for treating me fair, even though I am brash. I’m nearly finnished collecting anything, and I’m impatient and freustrated with the same guys that build to notes on napkins, so it was inevitable here. You have a lot of those guys, maybe they can make you some money some how, I sure hope so. If you (only you) ever need to find any real original drawing set for something (3’ NG), contact me (Loco112 everywhere) I’ll find them for you, and sell them to you at cost, but they are never what I would call “cheap”. I pay for a forum to operat also, fully its all me, and its thankless, but I decided initially to hold out all the napkin builders from day one, it was the right thing to do, and man did it piss them off. I have made more progress in my collecting over that time (without them) than I could have in the same time with them and have had no troulbe at all. You’ll hear about my grand scale RR one day, feel free to contact it when that happens and you can come ride. It’ll be in Texas though.

And now you know the rest of the story…

Welcome back, Boomer…

WOW

Yes it’s great to have you back Boomer!

I even remember some one went as “Shawn the CAD”

Boy I love this site!

Bob thanks for every thing you do and put up with!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bob McCown said:

If you want the truth-truth, start in this thread

Oh my, I guess my memory is better than I thought it was…now if I could just remember important things I’d be all set.

Hehehe, the following is based on my long time in kit modeler going back to as a kid in the 70’s.

The basic problem with “blueprint builders” that I have observed, is that they very rarely actually finish anything. They are soooo obsessed with getting everything absolutely correct it takes them years to build anything. Now that’s fine if you are building an individual model car or model airplane, I’ve seen some incredible models that were total scratch-builds where every bolt is accurate. I’ve also seen grown men almost come to blows over who’s identical aircraft model of the same plane was “more correct” to prototype. Now that’s one thing because the models are static objects, its easier to build solid forms that only have to look correct, but try it on a working locomotive and now you have to incorporate motors, wiring, circuits, etc. That means compromise, and that complicates the process, now its one thing to do this in HO or even O, where there is a huge parts selection that usually guarantees finding correctly sized materials like wheels or details, but switch to LS and now the only way to do this virtually necessitates the use of a milling machine, simply because the pool of available parts to choose from is extremely shallow, now say that one day your going to have an entire room sized large scale model railroad layout based on the “blueprint builder” mentality and what your basically saying is, “I’m not going be anywhere near finished before the next millenia”

I am the Blueprint Builder anti-christ, hell, half of my builds were done with no plans whatsoever, based on NKP (no known prototype), it just “felt right” when I built them. But I like that, I like the results, and I have a load of fun building them, which in the Blueprint Builders religion "fun "is heresy punishable by death by angry beady eyed glaring.

…meh, big deal. I’m having fun, and instead a pile of blueprints and a 1/10 finished 15 year old model of K-36 483 as on the morning of Dec 12, 1947, I have a display shelf full of zany expression of my own creativity. Does my work give these guys conniptions? I certainly hope so, because they need to relax and lighten up, this is a hobby that’s supposed to be about fun and enjoying yourself, and expressing yourself. But they make it a job and an unplesant job that’s like being an IRS tax accountant when you want to be doing plein air painting on a beach.

It all just sounds, so extremely… un-fun… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

or

not me btw (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Oh, and welcome back Boomer