Large Scale Central

Live Steam reference material?

I’m interested in expanding my hobby interest/expertise from strictly electric locomotives to live-steam locomotives. I’ve never operated a live-steam loco and when I’ve seen them in operation at East Coast Large Scale Train Show (in York, PA), I was hooked but extremely intimidated. Can any live-steamers offer recommendations regarding reference material (books/magazines/websites) for a novice interested in expanding his interests into live-steam?

Hey Jay, My wife bought me this book years ago:

Building Small Steam Locomotives: A Practical Guide to Making Engines for Garden Gauges

She really didn’t understand that I was talking about building ride on Scales. Soon I realized the ride on wasn’t going to happen in my near future and that G scale railroading would offer a great way to scratch the live steam itch. After reading the book I took the plunge on a Accucraft Ruby kit and have been hooked since.

For me with the subject of mechanics there is no better way to learn than hands on experience. I see you’re not all that far from me. I think you need to stop over and try running my live steam mikado and have some good discussion. I’ll send you a PM.

Jay,

There are two books that may help.

Marc Horovitz wrote a book on how they work and its profusely illustrated. His book also has pages of descriptions of live steam engines in his collection. It’s in the Accucraft eStore: AP-10500 BOOK: A PASSION FOR STEAM: Small scale steam locomotives and how they work by Marc Horovitz.

http://www.accucraftestore.com/index.php?productID=1915

From Steam in th Garden Magazine (well worth the subscription): Starting in Steam is a complete guide and how-to for the small-scale live steam novice as well as for the more experienced hand. Written by longtime steamers, this book provides the reader with insights on not only how to start in the hobby but also how to have more fun.

Those are two good references… You can also just jump in with both feet and get a Ruby, Dora or other starter engine… Great fun!

I recently subscribed to “Steam in the Garden Magazine” an they sent me the book “Starting in Steam” free. It is an easy read for an afternoon.

if you want to build your own or just see how you could …

I have a Mamood. Yea, I know, but I got in a trade. And I was looking for the upgrade kits for it. I found a dealer in the Yuck (UK) who sells these kits. Has anyone ordered parts from Yuck? What kind of hoops can I expect to jump through? I just ordered a locomotive from Australia, and the only “hoop” was paying a but more in shipping then I expected.

David Maynard said:

I have a Mamood. Yea, I know, but I got in a trade. And I was looking for the upgrade kits for it. I found a dealer in the Yuck (UK) who sells these kits. Has anyone ordered parts from Yuck? What kind of hoops can I expect to jump through? I just ordered a locomotive from Australia, and the only “hoop” was paying a but more in shipping then I expected.

David,

The general rule with a Mamod is that you’ll end up paying more in upgrades than the loco is worth. I fitted a Kingfisher alcohol burner (from the UK) to mine (many, many years ago) and that was much better than the tablets. But the boiler is soft-soldered, the sight glass is plastic, etc., etc.

http://www.sidestreet.info/locos/loco36.html

No idea what the story is with the latest MSS version. Suggest you join one of the UK forums and get some ideas from them.

Pete, yes, I know its a toy. But, with the upgrades its supposed to be a better performer. Like I said I got it in trade for some stuff, so it was essentially free to me. I got rid of stuff I wasn’t using, and didn’t need, and got a box of stuff I can use along with the Mamood.

Free is good! If you get frustrated, remember it was free and you get what you pay for. I hope you have fun with it and that it performs OK for you. But don’t think of it as a true ambassador for live steam, most of the currently available stuff runs a lot better pulls better and is more fun to play with!

Eric, and that there is why its still in the box. I know its going to take money and effort to make it work better, and it will still not be a true model steam locomotive.

David their is a place in the US or Canada, i think, where you can get what you need for the Mamod. try this link http://www.yesteryeartoys.com/ Im always keeping my eyes open for a good deal on one. They are fun little steamers to play with, although not worth the price new and the upgrades you need to do.

Jay good choice on the move to Live Steam. If you can make it to either Cabin Fever this month or Scranton Presidents Weekend you will get a good look at the different steam trains and have any questions answered.

Do you have a scale or type of steam train your interested in?