Large Scale Central

A bit smaller but will be running in the garden soon

Picked up this old girl recently, She is an early Bassett Lowke Stainier Mogul in gauge 0, I just woke her up from a multi decade slumber. Had a slight meths fire in the cab that took out the upper cab side and roof paint, so I have a bit of rework to do. Having issues with meths spitting up thru the vent tube once the engine and everything mounted to it gets nice and warm as she comes up to temp. I think the spits caught fire and led to the cab fire. Rather not have that happen again! Anyhow, planning an elevated O gauge section in an “L” shape above the lower G scale garden line next spring. Mike

Before trying to get her running again.

valve timing off due to middle driver set being installed backwards when she was restored decades ago!

Post cab fire after I fixed the valve gear issue and repainted and soldered the cab roof back on, still need some crimson red to touch up the cab sides.

Very nice, looking forward to so it running.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Nice find. Im actually thinking about doing a small 16mm loop around my mountain. Make it into a mine loop.

Shawn, I really have a thing for UK style locomotives. Espicialy of the LMS or London Midland and Scottish Railway. I always wanted an Aster Jumbo in LMS Crimson Lake Red when I first got into live steam, its on my bucket list to own one day. Since its of reach, I went a smaller way for while. I have built a Roundhouse Lade Anne kit before, thinking about another one in the near future depending how big my bonus from work is this year. Wont know till closer to Christmas. Mike

Mine always runs well, and gives a nice plume. You can even see the chuffs…

Nice pic Tom, thanks.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Great pic Tom, Thanks! Mine doesnt run to bad on blocks, has some wear in the axle bore’s thats makes it clunk a bit with the wheels just hanging in mid air. Should have track soon so I can test on the rails and see how it runs. Forward is pretty strong, reverse is a bit tempermental, but getting better, probably has some congelled oil and goo in the steam passages from years of sitting. Mike

And a brief video…

Watch on full screen for maximum enjoyment.

Another advantage of O Gauge is that the entire train, locomotive, tender, and three coaches, fit snuggly into one of those aluminum attaché cases…

O Gauge LMS Train

Thats awsome Tom, never thought of setting up an alum attache cases to haul trains. Are those ACE trains coaches or one of the other tinplate brands? Mike

Mike,

They are a Presentation Set to mark the 30th anniversary of the HRCA (Hornby Railway Collectors Association) in 1999. I bought them @ Diamondhead a few years ago on the swap table. I did have a rake of Blood & Custard LMS coaches, but I then sold them on the very same swap table.

They make a beautiful train Tom, really complimenting the mogul. Thanks for posting. Mike