Large Scale Central

boards through truss rod turnbuckles

Having seen several times over the decades how RRs would sometimes put boards through truss rod turnbuckles to prevent the vibrations from running loosening them I finally got around to doing that to my Bachmann freight cars - all 6 of them, 3 reefers, 1 box, 2 gons.

Photo is the 3 reefers and 1 box, from a kit Robbie Hanson gave to the cause, down at model train club.

Wood is 1/16 thick basswood cut 3/16 wide. Friction fit, hopefully, holds them in. We shall see.

Oh, wood is stained with either, I forget which, strong tone or dark tone, “Quickshade” gaming figure shading wash from Army Painter.

And, yes, I have this thing about painting the wheels a hue close to the body. No, I don’t know why I began doing that. However, as an added bonus at no extra charge, there is little doubt which cars are mine! Box will be, (hopefully will be) getting metal wheels in August.
Let’s see, how many freight cars do I have? The 6 Bachmann cars. And 5 which I’m slowly poking along at scratchbuilding out of balsa and basswood, 4 box and one flat. Have about 7 cardboard 15in by 3.25in tubes a friend brought home from his job at grocery store, plan is to get trucks and turn them in to tank cars. Shrink wrap for the meat department or something was what they came from. None of my scratchbuilds are going to be run in the rain, but since I don’t have my own garden railway anyway …

Can we get a bigger picture. I can

t follow the link to this one to see a larger image. I think I can see a piece of wood in there. It is an interesting idea though. I hadn’t realised they did this but it makes sense.

Yeah wood was often placed there for the stated reason of a ‘lock washer’ effect.

The hobos loved them too. for catching a short ride and dodging the railroad dicks. Emperor of the North showed them riding the rods and the Conductor trying to dislodge 'em with a bouncing weight.

John

Beware, thread drift. But before I drift too far, let me compliment Forrest on the board idea.

Now we can drift on…In that movie, Emperor of the North, Ernest Borgnine does the bouncing weight thing, trying to get Lee Marvin if I remember correctly, off the freight car undercarriage. In the grand scheme who cares? Look at the effort the railroads went through to discourage these guys and gals from catching free rides in freight cars. The dang things were empty, dirty, cold, hot and I might add, very uncomfortable to ride in. I don’t know that from personal experience.

It’s not like the general public was going to follow suit with the freeloaders.

BTW: those boards, were even spected out on the builders blue prints for the D&RGW narrow gage cars. There was to be two of them and they were to be 1"x 3" OAK. They used 2 because on a lot of cars, the truss rod that went under the brake cyilender was several inches lower, for added clearance) mounted on longer queen posts, and they wouldn’t line up straight across. To keep them from coming loose, and (i was told by an old-timer) to keep people from using them for fire wood (read hobos here) they put very large cotter pins ( about 3/8" x 4" long ) thru each end. way to stout to un-bend by hand.

Here is a pic of one, in the boTtom right side. Also notice the added block between the needle beam and the Queens post on the left side.

From under D&RGW 5564D Double decker stock car.

Hmm, interesting, thumbnail is supposed to go to full size Photobucket page, but clicking on link brings up a url with no colon after the http. And yet, the links when going to edit show colons in all the right places. whatever is happening is beyond me. And I’m missing something on making freight shed work.

Well, let’s try the insert image function up there in the post toolbar and see how that works.

Upside down Bachmann cars

Dave Taylor said:

… to keep people from using them for fire wood (read hobos here) they put very large cotter pins ( about 3/8" x 4" long ) thru each end. way to stout to un-bend by hand.

Interesting. And ya know, this scale is bunches easier to do that in than is HO scale. Hmm …

Very cool idea and great attention to detail

Dave Taylor said:

BTW: those boards, were even spected out on the builders blue prints for the D&RGW narrow gage cars. There was to be two of them and they were to be 1"x 3" OAK.

These are replicated on some of the Bachmann Spectrum and AMS 1:20.3 D&RGW stock. I’d worked out their application but didn’t know their history with the hobos. Interesting stuff. Not seen the film I’ll watch out for it on an afternoon off. Nice work in the Big hauler stock. A nice extra detail. Max.