Large Scale Central

New Link and Pin coupler

Well I had some small 12’ cars I have been casting for use on my layout and I have been using some Bachmann couplers on them. The Bachamnn are so expensive I decided to check into the Kadee couplers. The Kadee 930’s have the same size gear box as the Bachmann . I was looking for a transition car or an easy to install link and pin system and Kadee does not make one. So I made my own… It works great I just have to paint it now …

Success is always satisfying! Link and pin coupler appears to be cast, resin?

Thanks Forest,

Yes it is cast in resin. Seems to be strong enough. I thought I was going to have to cast it in metal. I’ll make several and ride them around the layout for a while…

Ty

Looks pretty darn good there Landrel !

Thanks Sean,

I was just checking and they work well with the standard Bachmann gear box also . Here is a car that I have been using a while that i changed over from hook and loop. I was going to use an Ozark Link and pin before I made these.

Landrel Brown said:

Thanks Sean,

I was just checking and they work well with the standard Bachmann gear box also . Here is a car that I have been using a while that i changed over from hook and loop. I was going to use an Ozark Link and pin before I made these.

What a great idea!

I see molding knockout dimples on the under side your coupler’s Loop Pocket and on the side of the head of the Pin casting. Are these re-casts of a commercial item?

Andrew,
I tried to search for a part that would do the same thing I have here and could not find any except in smaller scales. I took the Kadee coupler and removed the end and found a pin coupler in my parts box and used it to make the master that I molded. It work really well for my purposes…

Ty

Cool! I’m thinking it might be cool to draw that up and have it 3D printed. Historically speaking, the rolling stock I’m running for the era I’m running should be equipped with link-and-pin couplers, but that’s a royal bugger for doing prototype operations, especially on a ground-level railroad. However, I’m working on a string of cars dedicated for shows, steam-ups and the like for that early era, and these would be great!

Later,

K