Large Scale Central

Napa Valley Railroad Co Single Dome Tank Car Scale

What scale is the ART-41332 Napa Valley Railroad Co Single Dome Tank Car?

Is it Aristo-Craft 1:29 or “Classic” series 1:24?

I thought I’d get one and “hide” it among my 1:20.3 and 1:24 rolling stock.

Here’s one

Thanks, Mark

Pretty sure its a 1:29 model of the 8,000 gallon tanker.

That one on eBay has Bachmann metal wheels with rail marks and hook and loop couplers, definitely not “new” as seller specifies.

Bob,

Seller does not say “NEW”, but states New Condition. Either one is a falsehood. As you elude the wheel sets are Bachmann, and have LOTS of rotations on them. Also, the hook and loops are not Aristo either. And if you look closely at the first end picture it appears that the tang on the truck has be modified to put the H&L couplers on. I most definitely would not give but MAYBE half what he is asking, but without a ‘make offer’ button, I’m out.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Bob C.

It look like this guy is selling off stuff from, maybe an estate or something, and he’s getting his information off of the box the car came in. He probably thinks, because it’s in the box that it is new. Just a guess, but it definitely is an oldie.

Yes, its the single dome, 1:29th car. Aristo’s “standard” design.

Yea, have to agree. It also looks, to me, like it has been modified to sit lower on the trucks. Its a bit pricey with hacked truck tangs and some other “modification” to lower the car.

But if thats is what you really want, and your are willing to live with, or work with the modifications, then by all means. But I would, personally, look around for one that is more original, or at least, not as expensive.

Edit to comment on scale.

If those are the original trucks then it is definitely not a “Delton Classic 1:24” as they all have arch bar trucks.

It would not surprise me if those wheels are early Aristo. Aristo was very toy-like at the beginning.

The description says new condition, but it is listed as NEW in the header, and main title… definitely not true.

Those wheels could be the early “split axle” aristo’s, but I don’t see wear, I see dirt, and you can get that in a few laps on a layout with dirty track.

$49 is not bad if you want the napa name, it’s a bit hard to find the napa stuff nowadays. Shipping is a bit high but not terrible. I’d be concerned about shipping with no box.

Greg

Thanks all of the responses.

I think I’ll pass or perhaps buy it to make an elevated oil (or perhaps wine) tank. But that would be $75 with shipping and I’m not all that jazzed about it, just thought it would be fun since the Wine Train stops about a block from my house. I’ve made him an offer and am waiting to see what he says.

Thanks again.

Mark, did you point out to him the hack job on the truck tangs? That should be worth a few bucks off the price right there.

David:

Yes and as yet he has not answered my question so the item still shows that no questions have been asked let alone answered. Kind of disappointing.