Large Scale Central

Accucraft 1:20 Three Bay Hoppers for Pre-Order

I was lucky enough to stumble across one of these on Fee-bay. Before I bid, I decided to check the estore and got a pleasant surprise.

It looks like Accucraft is doing a second run of these!

All of the 3 bay hoppers have a pre-order option at a very attractive price. I called to confirm and see when they thought they might arrive. I was told they were hopeful in the next few months, but it may run into next year. I’m going to go home and think about the commitment I want to make and call back with my pre-order.

I’m posting this as a heads up for those who didn’t know and for some encouragement for the rest to show Accucraft how much we want these. Time to put our money where our mouths are! (I know that doesn’t sound very hygienic! )

Nice. I have three, but could use a few more. Just need to hit a couple of $100 winners on the instant lottery - or sell some more 1:29 stuff.

I may have to get meeself some.

Thanks

Yea. I have six, and I’d really like a dozen or so more. Wonder if they are going to keep producing them?

There was no mention of continuous production. The words I heard were “dust off the molds and make another run”. I would imagine subsequent runs will depend greatly on how well this next batch sells. I would figure the cost of molds was paid for with the first batch and any more runs they do will be a much better profit margin for them. If this batch sells well I don’t see how they could refuse doing more.

I think I’m going to put in for 5 or so white pass since they have the least printing. I model EBT during 26-27 so the Acorn Herald doesn’t work for me.

Thanks for the post Randy. I have 10, but would like to have a few more to make a coal train and then a rock train as well.

Rerun prompted to take advantage of a need for prototypical stock to pull for those who bought the EBT Mike’s ? And then there is everybody else who could use one. Is there a reason the Bachmann Spectrum offering might not suffice ? Yes, I know it is 2 bay not 3 but… Max.

Well Max, I’m not sure how many hoppers Accucraft made the first time but if you bought #12 then you conceivably would want 12-15 hoppers to put behind it. I think they made 50 #12’s so at 12 hoppers per that would be a demand for 600 hoppers. Of course then one might eventually want more to have sitting in the yards and mines.

Why not Bachmann hopper? Well, it’s a decent model and with a few mods can be pretty accurate. But there were far fewer 2 bay hoppers on the EBT than 3 bay. Most of the two bays were rock cars that carried ganister for the brick plants. The 3 bays were used for hauling the coal. Chances are, most EBT modelers are going to want plenty of both. I currently have 2 of the 2 bay and 3 - 3 bay.

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:
. . . .

Why not Bachmann hopper? Well, it’s a decent model and with a few mods can be pretty accurate. But there were far fewer 2 bay hoppers on the EBT than 3 bay. . . .

Randy,

There were only 4 of the short 2-bay hoppers, built in the 1930’s with the vulcan trucks from the older tall, wooden hoppers. There were a few 2-bays bought from PSC in the 1910s that EBT used and then made their own copies - extended to the modern length of 28’. Those were converted to 3-bay quite rapidly as they weren’t stable.

Pete, I think it depends on what era you are modeling. They bought 10 - 2 bays form Pressed Steel Car Co in 1913. In 1914 they ordered 40 more. In 1927 they began the rebuild program that lasted until 1936 to convert these to 3 bay hoppers. With that in mind, it’s a wonder why they did build 4 of their own 2 bays in 1930 as you pointed out. Now I’m not sure if all of the cars from PSCC were made with archbar trucks or were they vulcan?

So for a guy like me modeling 26-27 it would be appropriate to have as many as 40 to 50 2 bay hoppers around. That’s part of the reason I picked that time frame. Now perhaps I’m missing something but that’s how I understand it. The majority of my understanding came from the excellent Car Roster posted on Chris Coleman’s site. If I’m wrong please correct me, because I’m definitely still learning.

Also, to correct some of my previous statements I found out when I placed my preorder today that around 80 #12’s were made. The gentleman wasn’t sure how many were LS and how many were electric. As for the cars he said usually in the hundreds to about 1000 for car runs, but wasn’t sure of specific numbers of the 3 bay that were made. I’m now very excited to get the call for 6 new hoppers when they arrive!

Pete Thornton said:

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:
. . . .

Why not Bachmann hopper? Well, it’s a decent model and with a few mods can be pretty accurate. But there were far fewer 2 bay hoppers on the EBT than 3 bay. . . .

Randy,

There were only 4 of the short 2-bay hoppers, built in the 1930’s with the vulcan trucks from the older tall, wooden hoppers. There were a few 2-bays bought from PSC in the 1910s that EBT used and then made their own copies - extended to the modern length of 28’. Those were converted to 3-bay quite rapidly as they weren’t stable.

Here’s how I handle those facts on my RR - the back story for a 2-Bay EBT hopper running at the CVSRy…

2-Bay Steel Coal Hopper. Built 1913 by Pressed Steel Car Company for the East Broad Top Railroad. Rebuilt 1943 in EBT shops. At the end of common carrier operations #807 was stored in Mount Union, PA until being sold to the Candlewood Valley Scenic Railway in 2009. Restored to original 1913 configuration and operating condition in the CVSRy shops and placed In Service in March 2010.

Hopper 807 photographed in Mt. Union, PA…

Ha John, Great story. I believe you are covered.

And as Paul Harvey would say, here’s the rest of the story. The clues were all in Pete’s first sentence. “only 4 of the short 2 bay hoppers”. He’s quite right. Bachman’s model is of the 4 cars built in 1930 specifically for use as rock hoppers. These cars are about 6’ shorter than the other 50 2-bays from PSCC. I guess I was under the wrong impression that they were the PSCC ones. Strange (to me anyway) Bachman would choose this car to model. I finally caught on when I got home and pulled out a Timber Transfer where Kevin Strong wrote a review on them. Fortunately I saw the article listed in the TT index and made a note of it a few weeks back. How’s that for serendipity?

Soooo, for a guy like me I guess I shouldn’t have any. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)That’s ok, I suppose I’m still glad to have them. I got them at a great price. I’m sure there will be some days on my line where time is a bit warped.

Well, I have 4 of the LGB 2 bay EBT hoppers. I put the Bachmann (not Spectrum) Vulcan truck side-frames onto the LGB bolsters, so they would look right to my untrained eye. I like the 2 bay hoppers, and learning that they were (possibly) unstable, explains why I like them. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I just received a call from Robert at Accucraft today that they have arrived and if I was still interested in my pre-order that it would ship today. (of course I was still interested (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif))

Another good bit of news for many is that they also received an additional 200 or so and that because of this they ordered a second series of car numbers. For anyone modeling the Acorn herald era this will be great to complement the cars you may already have.

Just wanted to pass along the good news. Order up gents! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the heads up

Direct only or are dealers like Robbie going to be selling them?

Sorry John, never saw your question. Not sure about that I just went direct on my pre-order. I would imagine that they would be happy to work with dealers on this release.

New AMS Hoppers

Well, they came on Friday! It was a real first for me because to date the most cars I have received at once is three. Eight is significantly more! Two big boxes with four cars each. First off, I noticed that they did not come in the usual flashy read and yellow packaging. I’m not sure if this was due to them being two bulk packs as opposed to individual cars. This didn’t bug me at all because I really didn’t like the ole clear plastic vacuformed insert that used to cover the one side. It seemed to scratch the side of the car some. These were just wrapped in tissue then a thin sheet of plastic and inserted in the foam protector with another sheet of eps foam to cover the exposed side.

Blackend Wheels

One change I really liked was the use of blackened wheel sets in the trucks. They look much better. The only other thing I would note is that about 30% of the trucks had an issue where one side or both were stuck in a compressed state. I was able with a bit of wiggling to get one side unstuck and popped back in to place. I didn’t have time yet to look at it closer to see what is causing this and to fix all the others, but I don’t think it will be a big deal. Over all I’m very pleased. Now I really need to get back to Mik’s challenge.

Cool! Glad to see they’re back in production. If I recall, I still owe you pics of how I “lowered” the bolster on mine. I’ve got one sitting on my workshop shelf right now awaiting some work to bring it “up to code” for my railroad, so I’ll have to work on that.

(One can hope the next shipment might have some 1:32 couplers… I’m down to my last two pair.)

Later,

K

Yes Kevin, I’m very happy to have a nice fleet of these now. Robert at Accucraft did tell me they have some 1:32 couplers “on order” but are having difficulty nailing down a commitment from their supplier/manufacturer. They do know we want them and I believe they are sincerely working on it.

Yeah, If you could share your “secret recipe” for hopper lowering with me, I’d still be very interested Thanks! I’m actually going to take ad vantage of this gorgeous 50+ degree weather we are having this weekend and do some steaming out back today.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

How to Lower the Bolster on the Accucraft Hopper Car

Here’s the stock bolster:

It’s essentially a strap of styrene, screwed onto the hopper at the very ends by really small (often stripped) screws. Remove the screws on the ends to remove the plastic bolster strap.

Cut the bolster pad from the wings which extend off the sides.

Replace these wings back on the car, and glue them to the sides of the center beam. If you don’t want to glue them use some black electrical tap or something thin to hold them in place, but–let’s face it–you’re not going to be disassembling these cars, so glue will be just fine. (That, and the screws strip really easily anyway, so you may want to glue the other ends as well.)

Now, place the truck back on the post. A few things. First, the post has a very slight taper to it (could be paint), so the truck may not go down all the way to the center beam without a little help. You can take a countersink bit to knock off the edge of the mounting hole. You may find you need to drill or file it out just slightly. (Use a “V” or “W” sized drill if you have them.)

Now, if you were to replace the screw onto this, the truck would have some vertical slop on the post. I’ve got one hopper with this, and it tracks just fine. You could just replace the screw and be happy. But where’s the fun in that? Instead, we want to fill the void around the mounting post so the spring holds the truck firm to the center sill.

Remember that square bolster pad you cut the wings off of? Pick it up off the floor, because you’re going to need it.

Trim the corners off and file it around until it fits easily into the void. It will be flush with the surface once it’s in place. Then just replace the mounting screws and mount your couplers. If you’re using the Kadee or Accucraft 1:32 couplers, you can use the same mounting hole on the bottom end of the center beam that the original coupler screwed into. That puts the couplers at a scale 24" centerline (or close enough, given the soft nature of the truck springs). It also sticks the coupler pocket out far enough to be prototypical. It’s up to you whether you want to fill the “shelf” above the coupler draft gear and the end of the frame. A little block of wood painted black is all you need.

One thing to watch out for when lowering the car on the trucks… the air brake lines may rub against the wheels on the brake end of the car. You can probably just apply a little gentle pressure to bend this up and out of the way. If that doesn’t get it far enough up, you can take a file or sanding wheel on your Dremel to knock off the bottom of the “T” joint casting.

(the picture is sideways; that’s the center sill running top to bottom.)

And that’s it. It took all of 10 minutes to do one car, and that includes me needing to find my stupid phillips-head screwdriver at least three times in the process.

Later,

K