Large Scale Central

Juniata Falls Werx

Hey gang, thought I’d share my latest idea.

I had been plagued by these pegboard things I’d purchased, I think for a buck a piece. They were originally used in hardware stores to hand the flexible hoses from the pipes to faucets. It was a classic case of "I don’t know what I’d use them for, but for the price, I can’t turn them down. While working on straightening up the shop (I haven’t done a darned thing out there in over a year) I was hit by a brainstorm. That an the sheer pile of loose wheelset axles I had laying around. JFX Wheel Storage Rack

Here are a few other things I worked out for my shop: I had purchased a ton of parts of ebay over the last few years. Having piles of cardboard boxes did NOT promote a good construction attitude, so I needed a better way to store things. I started buying filing cabinets as they showed up at the local Goodwill stores. 2-drawers usually run 4.99-5.99 while 4-drawers are usually priced at 9.99: quite the savings over 130 and 299 respectively! It didn’t take long to run out of cabinets at GW, but still having tons of parts laying around. I mentioned to a friend who is a fellow engineer that I was loking, and he directed me to Lion Surplus, the surplus outlet for Penn State. I managed to snag a bunch more of the 4-drawers and even two of the wide lateral “executive” models. My shop currently has a three and a two drawer wide cabinets; two standard 2-drawer cabinets, a single 1.5-drawer cabinet and four 4-drawer cabinets: JFX Storage Cabinets

And you can see how I was able to capitalize on the drawers to maximize the available storage space: JFX Supply Drawer

Finally, I have been stocking up in tie strips to build up track from the 3 bundles of 8-foot sticks of nickel-silver rail I acquired long ago. Also, With the plethora of car “kits” I purchased from someone who attended the LGBoA auction, I’ve needed to stock up on truck assemblies as well: (Sorry for the crappy quality there. It was late last night. JFX Truck Storage Rack

Hope someone finds something useful here.

-J.D.

Gee, and I had the delusion that I has a nice stash of parts.

Well done, both in the stash, and the organizing of the stash.

IF I had the hooks…they’d be empty …

Um I distinctly remember the discussion in the build challenge that some peoples junk bins are bigger than others. Holy cow that is a serious junk bin. But I do understand. My bass fishing tackle box is a big rolling gym bag.

I have parts envy…hehehe.