Large Scale Central

I would get these for the railroad, but.....!

Looking at the railroad cams reminded me of some railroad cars that I like, but do not and will not have.

This makes me wonder what cars and locos for that matter other Forum Members would like to run if they could, but are precluded from doing so due to having far too tight diameter curves, i.e. less than 10ft., or because of monetary reasons, too expensive or just plain can’t afford them or maybe just out of the era they model so they don’t fit in.

My choice of loco would probably be Dash and SD45 or similar larger diesels. The types of car would be those larger grain hoppers, particularly those with Canada or Canadian Province names. Another type of car would be a coal hopper, of the 100T type or similar.

These locos and cars all fall outside my chosen era and all my curves are 8ft. diameter.

I would be great of this did not become a would like to have, eventually, ‘wish list’ thread, I believe we already have had them

I’d love to get one of the LGB Frank S Live steamers, but kitbashing that might be a tad… frustrating, lol.

What I would get if not limited by curvature, funds, etc?

One of every Aster loco

One of every USAT loco

One of every Accucraft loco

100 car unit trains of coal hopper, box, auto carriers, intermodals.

Should I go on?

ok, I’ve answered the question truthfully, but maybe the question is what would be top on your list?

Probably a layout where I could doublehead a couple of big boys, and the big boys themselves. A layout where I could pull a prototype length train.

Greg

Maintaining a large layout can preclude time to run trains.

I OWN the one engine I’d love to run, a Lionel Atlantic I picked up a couple years ago and now have as a display engine above my workbench. I know its R1 capable but I’d love to be able to set up an R2 or 6.5’D curve layout in the back corner of my yard.

…one day (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

If I could afford it?

Have grunt do all the dirty work and electrical magic, then I could run and enjoy what I have.

Right now I’m giving up and trying to figure how to raise the raised half higher and get the rest out of the dirt. Ma Nature and her critters seem to keep me a step behind. I’ve got the timber… but a couple of concrete buildings sit on a raised portion… really need a grunt!

John

I would like a set of USAT or Aristo modern passenger cars but they would look silly going around my tight curves.

I’d like a Big Boy or a Challenger, but my railroad is too small for such monsters! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

*I know these are motive power, but I can dream, can’t I?

This is what I would have but would never let myself spend the money to own it. Accucrafts 1:20.3 live steam mogul. This is a very similar locomotive to the Grant moguls my RR used and would make a nice stand in.

Aster Great Northern S 2

Devon, if you can find one of those at a good price, you owe it to yourself to splurge. I had mine (TRR #4) running out at the Colorado RR museum on Wednesday. It’s a wonderful engine to sit and watch roll by.

For me? Two locos, both being produced by Accucraft. First, the N&W J.

I’ve always loved that engine. I used to serve as a car host on the excursions when it ran out of Alexandria, VA. Something like that would definitely not fit on my railroad, but that’s why I run at the RR museum. Alas, even if I could afford the loco, it needs a proper string of 8 - 10 streamlined coaches in its wake. So it’s not going to happen until the kids get through college, become independently wealthy, and can support my hobby for me.

The loco that’s at least a bit closer to reality would be Accucraft’s Maine Forney they’re currently designing.

http://www.thetraindepartment.com/accucraft-live-steam/accucraft-american-1-13-7/#

I loved the Maine 2-footers before I got involved with the EBT, modeling them in HOn30 when I was in high school. I’ve seen Steve King’s 7/8" scale Forney and scratchbuilt rolling stock, and the size of that stuff is simply impressive. (Talk about your WOW! factor!) My yard is too small to do a 7/8" scale railroad justice, so–again–it’d be run only at the museum or steam-ups. Storing and transporting that stuff gets to be problematic, so like the J and its train, I think it might have to wait for my next life. No worries; I’ve enough in this life to keep me plenty interested.

Later,

K

I’d like an EBT Mikado, preferably unlettered. If someone has one they don’t want they can give it to me i’ll even spring for shipping.

I’d also like someone to build me a standard gauge layout so I cold buy a NKP Berkshire to run on it. I also hope that Accucraft will make a NKP SD9 so i could put them on my wish list too.

Terry