Large Scale Central

Bachmann long Caboose redo.

I got a B-mann long caboose cheap on the eBay. Not really the one I wanted but I couldn’t pass on the price. So I got to tearing it apart or as Bart would say it had a meeting with the screwdriver of destiny. I tore it down, repainted it, added LiIon battery power with some control switches, moved a lantern to meet LA&C RR needs, added Kadee couplers and relettered it. I like the way it turned out.

The original caboose.

Torn down and painted.

Battery installed in interior. Sadly it didn’t fit in the provided battery compartment.

Light test. These cabeese have really nice interiors.

Charge jack, interior light switch and directional lantern switch.

A fun project. About a weeks worth of work that took me a month. I think my caboose roster is full now.

Terry

Nice, terry…

Very nice.

Absolutely fantastic interior. Wish I could get my skill level to 1% of what some of you guys do!

Cool. Unless you run a lot at night with lights I think by the time that LiIon runs out you will have forgotten it’s in there (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I’ve had mine a year and the original AA’s I put in it are still good.

That’s good to know. I’ve had a 9 volt alkaline in a USAT crummie for a year, and its still going strong.

Yeah i usually charge the cabeese and passenger cars at the beginning of the year and then they’re good.

So, maybe I should consider battery powering my stock instead of track powering them. Yes, conversion to LEDs is on the list at the same time I work out the power in the cars.

Fantastic looking caboose, Terry. Wait that doesn’t sound right. I meant that the model was fantastic looking, not that you have a fantastic caboose. You know what I mean. Never mind.

-Kevin.

Nice job, Terry.

What does LA&C stand for?

Real nice work Terry. I’m taking notes for my builds.

Andy Clarke said:

Nice, terry…

Gee Andy, Maybe Terry should come help you finish the Caboosebo.

Looks great! I’ve got two years’ operation out of the Li-Ion battery in one of my cabooses. I didn’t run quite as much at night last year as I did the previous summer, but ya definitely need lights in the caboose if you’re running at night.

Later,

K

Nice work Terry.I know it’s your railroad, but are you going to leave the end walks off ? Just not used to seeing walks in that configuration.

One of this years challenge entrants built a caboose just like the one you’ve got in the background. I saw it at the show. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Lou, It stands for Lakeville Amboy & Conneaut It’s the three names of the area I live in. Amboy was/is a small area with one traffic light and a gas station located in Lakeville Township. In the 60’s Lakeville township merged with the city of Conneaut.

Dave, not totally sure what end walks are? I’m assuming they are the short walkways to the ladder? If so, the caboose didn’t come with them so I’m going to leave it as is.

T

We are caboose freaks here, and in addition to having that pretty nice LGB version that comes with a dozen or so road-names [due to be chopped, changed and made ‘more scale in appearance’, we have the Bachmann D&RGW like Terry’s, the Accucraft brass version, the Sheridan centre-cupola version, Phil’s Narrow Gauge Mow and my scratch-built Mow and about fifteen others…

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

thomas prevost said:

Absolutely fantastic interior. Wish I could get my skill level to 1% of what some of you guys do!

That’s the way interiors come from Bachmann. Just amazing detail.

dieseldude . said:

Fantastic looking caboose, Terry. Wait that doesn’t sound right. I meant that the model was fantastic looking, not that you have a fantastic caboose. You know what I mean. Never mind.

-Kevin.

I don’t understand what you mean Kevin could you explain it ?