Large Scale Central

Steam Generator cars for passenger trains

In the Operations forum thread, I spoke of steam generators, which were a common sight on passenger trains in the steam to Diesel era.

I also suggested that a steam generator car would be a much more attractive come prototypical car to be used for a battery car in a passenger train, rather than the oh so common gondola, box car, or heaven forbid, stock car.

No-one seems to want to comment on this idea, so I ask here, if anyone has built one, or is interested in having thoughts about the subject.

Most of the so-called “Passenger” Diesel electric locomotives that have been produced, do not have the simulated steam generator vents (Etc) on the roofs, so they should be trailed by a steam generator, while in passenger service, in all but a few areas, where heat in the passenger cars was not needed.

There has not been a modern passenger unit produced, other than the LGB loco, or the old Great Trains ones, that would have hand the electrical HEP (Head end power) equipment, for modern passenger electrical requirements.

So…what could be kitbashed into a steam generator car ? I was looking at an old Lionel plug door box car for a start, but then what high speed trucks would be available for it ?

Maybe David Russell might be interested in some thoughts on this…or some other modeler who is into creating parts that could be used in such a project. Possibly even parts for the existing Diesel locomotives, in order to give them steam generators.

Well Fred you have numerous choices here. First off as for your high speed trucks you could certainly use the Barber S-2’s which were made by Aristo and USA trains.

Now as for the car it’s self my first choice would be the reverse. Make a HEP boxcar and convert all your passenger equitment to head end power like below.

The other prototype you could model would be like this one. However the trucks on this car appear to be old REA trucks of the sort but not sure. They would require making your own whcih can and has been done.

Then, of course there are the many cars that CN, and Via had, which are modeled by Rapido Trains in HO…Yes, David that could be a good option…thank you. A good use for an old 40 foot box car.

Fred, I have that Rapido steam generator car in H0, lettered and liveried for GN. The darn thing even emits steam out of many hidden orifices, too. I have the same type of car, but with a slightly different design, in H0 brass, made by Oriental.

I can supply pics if anybody needs them alongside a scale. To get 1/29th all you have to do is multiply by three.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Here is a sister of one that I put about 6K gallons of water into if I remember correctly, on a 0F day for an winter excursion at Steamtown Scranton *prior to NPS, by a private operator and the owner of the car failed to drain the heater properly and casing was cracked, Steamtown would not loan the parts and I had to dump the water. Train consist was at the siding adjacent to U of Scranton.

Excursion ran with protable heaters and it was a C O L D ride! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

AT&SF Steam generator car

Didn’t d&rgw build one out of a pb-1 with four axle trucks?

A few years ago, the Evansville Western RR borrowed the PAL (Paducah & Louisville) business cars to runa ““Shippers special”” for the shippers on the line… The train consisted of a steam generator car, a stainless steel coach, and a Heavyweight Observation car… These cars were framed by a GP-38, running as a pull-pull sandwich configuration…

Below are 2 pictues of the Steam generator car, and the third picture is of the passenger cars… well, a car and a half…

This was an FB unit somewhat modeled after similar CP car.

Well, guys; I dug out the old Lionel plug door box cars, and the one extra pair of B’mann passenger trucks. I think I may be on to something. That may be the makings of the steam generator car, or cars. If I do two of them, it would not take much extra work; I’ll just need to try to find another pair of passenger trucks.

I’ll probably try for some grill work on both sides, and a centre door (Both sides). I’m thinking of a door on both ends. Vents and stacks on the roof. No roofwalk. Probably two porthole windows on both sides. These cars have several nice “Boxes” hung under them to start with.

The most work is the end doors. The side ones don’t need any cutting of the body; just filling in where the original doors were.

Yes Dave; the B unit would have been a fast way to do this project, but I’m not trying for a model of any particular car. The only model that I keep in mind, but not copying, is the series of SG that CN/Via Rail had. This is strictly a freelance project.

The reason for thinking of building the two cars, is that we quite often have two passenger trains on the road at one time in the operations, and I just happen to have the two Lionel box cars, which are of no use to me. Their trucks are the shits, so they aren’t of any use either.

More planning ahead, but I think I just may get this project on the road…

The NS 40 car (second post in the thread by David) is of interest to me. It appears to be a 40ft. steel boxcar with single sliding door similar to those I have which were produced by Aristo-Craft. I have an L&N version which could be adapted to make an HEP car such as this. I am not sure how sucessful my cutting out the sides for the louvres would be so this is a project is for the back burner I think. I do have a few points to raise about the car; they are as follows.

There does not seem to be a roof walkway - which would explain why the steel side ladders only go halfway up the body. The other point is why are the laddders there in the first place as they seem superfluos? As the original poster suggests this type of car makes a welcome change for battery guys. I do use a double door boxcar as a battery car and this would free that car for other useage. Fr. Fred is critical of stock car use. I guess he has good reason, however, Aristo preferred the stock car for their 27Mhz. TE installations due, they believed, to the better ventilation. As it never gets very hot in my area I have found gonds, small coal hoppers and boxcars suitable for battery car use.

double entry

Union Pacific still has some steam generator cars.

http://www.up.com/cs/groups/public/documents/up_pdf_nativedocs/pdf_power_cars_historical.pdf

Fred, really, the trucks are that bad? So, should I bad order my Lionel plug door boxcar, and cabeese then?

They seam to be running fine for me.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Alan;

The reason I detest stock cars, plain box cars, or gons, used as battery cars, is that most railroads never hauled them in passenger trains, unless it was a mixed train. (They did on occasion haul steam line equipped, box cars and express reefers, some were equipped with high speed trucks) If anyone insists in using a battery car, it should appear to be a car that fits some roll in passenger operations.

I say this with the hope that people in this hobby, would be interested in the real operations of a railroad, and be willing to learn enough to allow them to attempt to take pride in showing their newfound knowledge, in the equipment they run…even if all they enjoy doing, is running in circles. And…I say that with no disrespect, meant, in any way.

Ultimately, everyone is free to run whatever they care to, and I’m in no way suggesting that I am trying to tell anyone what they can or cannot do…EXCEPT…I do hope that EVERYONE will find great enjoyment in their LS MODEL RAILROAD EXPERIENCES.

For a bit more information, I offer, that in the last days of steam, when “Head End Electric power” was not yet installed in passenger equipment, the old steam heat was still being used. Steam generator cars were used as many Diesel electric locomotives did not have steam generators. Later, some railroads, and many today; that run limited passenger trains, use cars that don’t produce steam. Instead they contain electric “Gensets” that produce HEP (Head end power) for any passenger equipment the road may be required to run.

Today, Amtrak, and Via Rail locomotives are equipped with HEP, in order to provide the electric power for all the cars in the consist.

Nowadays, private cars and tourist trains have their own self contained gensets, so the trains do not require any Steam generator or Head End power car.

Look at the roof of your FA/B units by Aristo…there is no indication of them being equipped with a steam generator. Same with GP7/9 by USTrains (The real ones often were equip, and it was installed in the high, short hood) I’m not sure if the USTRains F or B units have any indication of being equipped…if they are, look at the rear ends of the roof where there should be several vents etc., and probably a rivited plate. (I don’t have one to examine)

I hope this is of interest to somebody…questions are welcome, and more information is welcome also.

David;

I made that comment after having experience with those truck, in sevice for many years. I make the same comments about the old MDC freight trucks also.

However…if they give you no problems…GREAT…keep using them. Thank you for telling us of your good experiences.

Alan;

Roof walks were removed in the late 50’s, as there was no-longer a need for brakemen to walk the roofs to set brakes. The short ladders were left on for any crew that had to ride a car, in switching. Brake wheels were lowered over the years on the ends of the cars, and are used as “Parking brakes”, when cars are left on a siding. In switching operations, a car might be "Shunted off for a distance, and a crew member will ride it and apply the brake, at the location it is wanted, but loose car shunting is rather frowned on as it is considered unsafe as a practise these days. In North America, it is unlikely that you could find a 40 foot box car in service today. There may be a “Very few” in company service, on some railroads, but due to age, would not be allowed in interchange. Radio communication, took the place of men on the roofs, to convey hand signals to the locomotive enginemen.

Putting on enough brakes in a string of cars, is most important, as we learned in the Lac Magentic disaster, last year…

If you are modeling railroading in the late 50’s and later; you would be correct to remove the roof walks. I can find out the dates that the removal started if anyone wants to know.

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD (Hons) said:

If you are modeling railroading in the late 50’s and later; you would be correct to remove the roof walks. I can find out the dates that the removal started if anyone wants to know.

It was the late 60’s, early 70’s that shorten ladders were required. I think new car requirements started around the 65-66 date range, and older cars had to be retrofitted by 70-72 time frame. Exceptions are for roof access; covered hoppers, centerbeam flats, etc. There are a few high brake stands still around to this day, and let me tell you they aren’t too fun to climb up and tie. One of the old heads that I worked with, took a complete fall from the top of a boxcar when he hired out in the early 70’s when he was passing hand signals and forgot that he was on the top end of the car!

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD (Hons) said:

It was the late 60’s, early 70’s that shorten ladders were required. I think new car requirements started around the 65-66 date range, and older cars had to be retrofitted by 70-72 time frame. Exceptions are for roof access; covered hoppers, centerbeam flats, etc. There are a few high brake stands still around to this day, and let me tell you they aren’t too fun to climb up and tie. One of the old heads that I worked with, took a complete fall from the top of a boxcar when he hired out in the early 70’s when he was passing hand signals and forgot that he was on the top end of the car!

Double Post- Ooops

Thank you for your information, Craig…