Large Scale Central

Aristo Cable Reel Flat Makeover.

I did a fun little side project today between soldering and pickleing my boiler. I’ve had this flat car for a while and have had some fun with it out in the yard. But I never liked the DR&G Yellow on it. You can see it sticking out in this picture as it was this morning before I got to it. This is history now and it’s begun getting the EBT treatment.

IMG_0793

This will just be a what if type model as to my knowledge the EBT never had anything like this.I’m going to keep it a MOW style caboose, but it needed proper colors. These cars come with stands that hold the cable reels, the problem with them is they put holes in the deck to hold them. I started by bondo-ing them shut and then sanding smooth. Next came acrylic black then a thinned cot of brown on the deck. The same brown was splashed over the trucks and wheel sides. I need to get some 24" wheels instead of the 26" and also a pair of 3/4 couplers for it. I’ll post back once I give the cardboard caboose top (Yeah Vic, you heard that right) the once over and finnish it up.

Aristo flat

Next up was to get the couplers body mounted. I used a piece of 1/4 Sintra I had and cu tow squares to be epoxyed in place to bring up the height.

coupler shim

Next up was some paint,two holes and two screws.

installed coupler

Here is a shot of it sitting coupled to an Accucraft 3 Bay hopper.

end flat car

And an over all shot.

over all flat

Winch brings me to my dilemma. I like it. Too much I think to put the caboose back on. I looked at the caboose and thought of what I’d do to spruce it up, and I just couldn’t see not starting over in wood, if I was going to put all the work in to detailing it. It worked great for it’s intended purpose as a video prop at 5 to ten feet. I think I’ll let it go and instead have a small flat car that won’t look too bad for being the wrong scale. Just need to find it an interesting load…

Randy, try this one…http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/20932

That would be quite interesting Bob. I think it may be more that my light flat could handle though. I was thinking along the lines of some new machinery or engines for the mines. Once something lands on the deck I’ll post a picture.

Randy, you did say you were looking for interesting…