Large Scale Central

kadee coupler Aristocraft. long steel caboose

Good afternoon gentlemen. I have be looking and researching on tips for body mount kadee couplers for the long steel aristocraft caboose I haven’t found any. The problem and concern have is I don’t want to perform survey on the the Make believe couplers slots that are already on the ends . I wish I had picture to show you all . I also have tried fingers photos on line the ends of the caboose on line to post and can’t find any. Any of you have suggestions. I am using g scale not #1

I have not looked at mine lately, but is the issue you would need to cut away plastic to fit the draft gear box at the right height?

And you don’t want to perform survey (I’m guessing surgery)… well then there’s no answer if you need the room.

I’d cut the coupler pad flat, shim as necessary.

Does this help?

Greg

yes Surgery sorry was using my cell phone to post the question. I was Afraid of that but thanks Greg

Jim, not pressuring you at all, but why are you worried about modifying the coupler pocket?

Just feeling I don’t completely understand your reasons not to go ahead. With a short car like that, and how it stands out being the last car in a train, a body mount will enhance it’s looks.

and if you don’t want to explain further, I respect that.

Greg

To be completely Honest I really don.t Know, however I have read George Schreyers’s Large Scale website, how do you feel about what size couplers to use on aristocraft heavy weights

Also I fouond that Raymond 44455’s web page very helpful

Well, first I use the G scale ones, I have grades, long cars and body mounts, so I need the bigger couplers with the greater overlap.

Whether or not to use body mounts depends on the car length, minimum curvature, grades meaning the vertical transitions in and out of the grade.

I have some steep grades and had to make the entry and exit more gradual to keep the Kadees from going “over” each other (overriding) and coming apart.

So, tell me a bit more about your layout and trackwork and I can gauge how successful the conversion will be. At the least, getting the swinging adapter for the coupler box. I think the Aristo truck mounts for the couplers is awful, because the pivot points of the suspension are assymetrical.

The stock couplers work well because of the “shelf” otherwise they would come apart all the time. That is one benefit of the Aristo coupler.

Greg

My track work is hand laid made from aluminum flat rods, 1/4 x 8th 12 long. Ties have been cut from redwood. This all started 2 years ago and Christmas when a grocery store had battery operated toy g scale 50% off all Christmas items.so I got each one for 15 bucks. I actually got the Idea o my own to use aluminum rods, due the cost of manufactured track is priced unbelievably high for y budget.; I also meet the gentlemen from Australia. Greg Hunter.m; I am using aristocrat wide turnouts with Lionel remote switch machines. these work well. My rolling stock mixture of Bachmann, Aristocraft, Lionel, and USA. the layout is 135 ft. x 35 ft. how ever I have a few out of bounds. two vegetable gardens In the center it is truly amazing My partner help me construct ;#6 turnout made of aluminum rods; as soon as I can uploadsome photos. I will hoping to do this soon. my tightest curve is 5 feet radius,; however that is made reconstructed my largest radius is over 22 ft; and then after the smallest radius probably be 8 ft or more

I have brought some use track mixture of Aristocraft and USA trains, they are brass. I’m finding that I do like the look of my own track, it is stronger, and to be honest I guess I am really building a miniature railroad. I have my track plan in the profile if you care to look however it has been modifyed

Please excuse weird symbols abbr. I don’t know where that is coming from