Large Scale Central

Mik 2015 Challenge

RIP Mik

You were in inspiration for many

see note below

Power the tender, that’s what B’mann did in HO…

Thought; Put the rocket on a treadmill and chain drive an axle…

See note below

Due to the majority of parts that would be 3d printed and not scratch bashed like the great Mik would have done, I have thrown in the towel on this project

I herby vote for Boomers build as the Best of spirit Award

Mark Dashnaw said:

I herby vote for Boomers build as the Best of spirit Award

i second that!

I dont have a problem if your printing your parts, would love to see the possibilities

I almost wish there were no prizes involved…though they sound great…because it would lower the stress on the participants. The idea is to have fun not to beat the other guy or knock him down for any reason! lets encourage not degrade!

Mark, I would love to see what you come up with! Do not hesitate. I think 3-D printing is cool and a new way to express some real creativity! If it costs more than $20 so what!

I imagine Boomer isn’t looking here any more but I wish he would. It is a shame he felt he had to leave. his project was cool and his posts very fun.

My decisions also based on York, I hope to have the 3 RS-11’s and RS-32 done and on display at York, I really don’t have time to spare on the printer anymore…

I plan on doing this project eventually, and it will be done so to honor Mik

Thanks

While 3-D printing may not be in the spirit of the challenge, so long as the media was obtained before Jan 1, or cost less than $30 for the build in total, I don’t see that it breaks any rules.

Within the rules, I don’t think it matters what you build or how you build it. It’s the judges that have the final say and they can see and judge for themselves the creativity and originality of concept and design and what goes into it. They can also recognize the creative use of everyday household and discarded items and I would think would judge appropriately to the challenge at hand.

Not everyone has the same materials availability, and certainly not the tools to work with, or experience using these materials and tools.

Todd Brody said:

While 3-D printing may not be in the spirit of the challenge, so long as the media was obtained before Jan 1, or cost less than $30 for the build in total, I don’t see that it breaks any rules.

Within the rules, I don’t think it matters what you build or how you build it. It’s the judges that have the final say and they can see and judge for themselves the creativity and originality of concept and design and what goes into it. They can also recognize the creative use of everyday household and discarded items and I would think would judge appropriately to the challenge at hand.

Not everyone has the same materials availability, and certainly not the tools to work with, or experience using these materials and tools.

Todd,

you nailed it. Some people have been in the hobby since they chiseled model trains out of stone with crude bronze tools. As such their parts/junk boxes are full. Some people are relatively new or are keeping up with technology and so what they have on hand is a 3D printer. Others of us just have to much crap lying around from all sorts of unfinished projects that the wife wished were finished and a plethora of tools that were supposed to be used to build said projects for the misses.

We all bring something different and Rule #1 reigns supreme. I also agree that the Spirit of MIK means something different to each of us. I for one do not know him but was vaguely aware of the nature of his contest so to me I will vote accordingly. Others knew him and saw what he built and will judge accordingly. Others are totally clueless and have there own vision of what is in the “spirit” and with vote accordingly.

So have fun, build what you want, try to keep to the rules, and enjoy. That’s my .02

Now as for printer time well I understand that. I should be writing a book not making multiple models

I take exception to the statement "While 3-D printing may not be in the spirit of the challenge". That’s like saying “Using a lathe may not be in the spirit of the challenge”.

Some have scrap boxes full of material from projects started many years ago, but never completed; or, just acquired with the thought that ‘Hey, I bet I could use that someday.’

Some have tools that they have mastered over the years and can produce a ‘custom’ part very easily, if given the inclination.

To me, the ‘spirit of the challenge’ is to make do with what you have, be it a talent or material.

Well, that, and having fun.

Bruce Chandler said:

I take exception to the statement "While 3-D printing may not be in the spirit of the challenge". That’s like saying “Using a lathe may not be in the spirit of the challenge”.

Some have scrap boxes full of material from projects started many years ago, but never completed; or, just acquired with the thought that ‘Hey, I bet I could use that someday.’

Some have tools that they have mastered over the years and can produce a ‘custom’ part very easily, if given the inclination.

To me, the ‘spirit of the challenge’ is to make do with what you have, be it a talent or material.

Bruce,

even more on the money.

Bruce Chandler said:

Well said Bruce. This is a FUN challenge amongst friends and the whole thing is based on the honor system.

5 Weeks, up to $30 for materials and free to use whatever you have on hand is pretty basic. If you have a $700 K27 you want ot carve up to make something whimsical to fit this years theme then go ahead. If all you have is a clothes peg, a paper clip and a bag of hope then that is OK too.

The whole idea is to build something that stretches your imagination and hobby crafting skills using the material and skill you have. The bottom line is to have FUN.

Well to add insult to my injury i was thinking i could run the files for this challenge at the library, and at 5 cents a gram could still make the budget, then i blew the engine in my truck 30 minutes ago, so that idea isn’t gonna work unless the library can pick me up tomorrow and get me there…

Homebound for a few days it looks like :frowning:

and for the edit - it would appear the electrical line to the hen house is fried also, gonna be some cold chickens tonight, for this i can blame the rooster…

Mark,

Some days your the windshield some days your the bug. I hope you get this all straightened out. Not so funny how life piles up.

Hope things straighten out.

Bruce Chandler said:

Ya know, I’d bet Mik would have loved a 3d printer, then again the man could look at what others thought was trash, and like a true artist he made stuff that was believable and beautiful

All i’m saying is what i was planning on doing was nothing like what Mik did and I (and me alone) didn’t think it was appropriate to make what I had planned in his honor as it wasn’t something I’d think he would have done.

of course the truck and damn chickens don’t help my already busy schedule, lol

Mark… Don’t make me break out the Rule #1 stick and beat you into the fun mode… Do what YOU want to do, don’t worry about the prizes (you don’t have to take them). 3D all you wan’t, Old school, New school, so what!

Just Build something for the fun of it. But you do have to post pics, for the fun to be shared.

Re-posted in the correct thread

Less thinkin’, Mark! More funnin’!