Large Scale Central

Stirling Single Lined with wood coaches

I’ve had some help from Jeremy Viewing, in the UK. He bought some of the rods my friend made and sent me some pictures of his Stirling, which he’s done an outstanding job on. He used vinyl strips for the lining and sent me some.

The range from .5mm to 2.0mm.

Now, here is Jeremy’s. His looks so good I’m embarassed to have them on here with mine, but thought he deserved it!

![|1024x768](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/gunjeep444/_forumfiles/sterling/DSCF1557 (Medium).JPG)

He painted the Emily coaches to make them look like wood. No, I’m not going to do that! My green was to match the coach colors.

![|1028x768](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/gunjeep444/_forumfiles/sterling/Coach 1 (Medium).JPG)

It just shows how good the internet can be to help out a modeler.

a fine looking pair of singles!

Eric Schade said:

a fine looking pair of singles!

I agree!

So “Stirling” was the guy who designed it. I didn’t think it would be a “stirling cycle” engine.

That is a striking engine.

They made about 40 of them. Could get up to 70-80 mph.

Seeing a picture with a guy peering out of the cab, gives some perspective on size. I didn’t realize they were that large.

8’ diameter wheel, cast in one piece!

Looks great. Nice looking engine and coaches.

I somehow was involved very early on when B’mann first produced Emily. I purchased her, and started looking for parts, with the help of Terry Foley.

Sadly, I have never gone any further, until just a few weeks ago.

I was approached, through a friend, by the Ottawa Little Theater, to lend my model to them for use in their production of “The Railway Children”. My friend removed the face, and replaced it with a reasonable boiler front, and the theater has her for a week or three.

The bonus came just a day ago. A ticket to the opening performance, with a backstage tour, on Tuesday next.

I wonder if this will push me into the full conversion… You guys have done wonderful work on her. Thank you all for sharing your pictures and methods.

My old work collegue now (retired) is building a 5" steamer of the Stirling!..been at it for a few years on and off in between building a 1/4 scale traction engine. Had to use the main workshop lathe at the airport we worked at to do the Stirling main wheels… his Myford lathe would not handle them.

Glutton for punishment!!

That is a neat engine. It must have really been something back in the day to be standing on a station platform and see one of them go slipping by.

Are you guys missing a steam dome on your models? The real deal has one in that photo.

How long are those coaches and do the center wheels have flanges? I’m wondering how they do going around tight curves.

Todd Haskins said:

That is a neat engine. It must have really been something back in the day to be standing on a station platform and see one of them go slipping by.

Are you guys missing a steam dome on your models? The real deal has one in that photo.

How long are those coaches and do the center wheels have flanges? I’m wondering how they do going around tight curves.

They originally didn’t have a dome, it wasn’t till later on that Mr Ivatt (Not 100% sure if this is right) rebuilt them with one to reduce the priming issues.

Those are beautiful, Jerry…

It’s going to be a very nice looking consist when you get it done, painted and lettered…

Thanks Stan.

Waiting to hear from Jeremy about the decals you have been slaving over! :slight_smile: