Large Scale Central

Any scrollsaw recommendations

My wonderful wife wants to purchase a scroll saw for me. Ok she wants me to buy it so she can give it to me. Some features that I’m looking for:

• entry level (16" length) I don’t have a lot of space to have it out all the time.

• cost < $300

• variable speed

• to be used for some curved cutting when scratch building (ok that is kind of obvious with looking at a scroll saw - I’m not interested in a band saw)

• might get into doing some scrolling projects (thus an entry level scroll saw)

• adjustable dust blower

Are there other features that I should be looking at?

There seems to be so many models out there. Anybody have some experience with some and how did they work out for you?

I’ve heard that if I go for some cheaper ones, that I might get what I pay for (that there might be a lot of vibration and noise at higher speeds, the table isn’t very smooth). Are there any brands/models that I should avoid?

There seems to be a lot of scratch builders on this site that I’d look forward to hearing their views/opinions.

Matt

Matt

All I can say about power tools is “get the best that you can afford”. It may have features that you think you don’t need or want but after you become comfortable with it you might wish you had that feature.

Me personally I like my Dewalt,Delta,Makita and actually I purchased 2 Hitachi pieces that I was skeptical about but have yet to fail me.

I do have several Craftsman pieces as well and when I purchased them I thought “I will hardly use them” so I’m gonna go on the cheaper side. Honestly that was a mistake as I have worn them out pretty well in a short amount of time.

Hope this helps and I’m assuming the wife has some woodworking projects in mind for you??

Matt
I echo Rooster’s recommendations as well.

Save your money and get a cooping saw.

My dad has a delta one. Don’t know what he paid but its nice. I would recommend it.

I have a nice Delta that I got as a gift. I seldom use it anymore, but it works well. The dust blower took a bit of fiddling to get it working right. I should buy different tubing for it, the tubing that came with it is a bit short and stiff.

Mine isn’t a variable speed, sometimes I wish it was. But I have worked with it and have done ok with it, even with it just being an on/off kinda deal.

I have to agree with the idea that you do not want to cheap out on a purchase like this.

Thanks all. Looks like I have more research to do. I hear what you all are saying…get the most for what my budget is because once I start using it, I might find other uses and projects to do. So I would want as many features as I can get. Any brands I should avoid?