Large Scale Central

Pin Nailer

OK,

So I have to get a pin nailer if I plan t build a trestle and buildings. I looked at the HF pneumatic ones and the price is right but. . . are they any good? Also what about an electric one?

Devon, for the use you’ll give it in modeling it should hold up 3-5 years. That’s not bad for $25.00. I’ve had mine for 4 years now. Just make sure you use glue along with the pins

I don’t know about the electric one.

The HF pin nailer is ok, their pins… not so much, I get what ever brand name they have at Home Disapointment or Lowes.

Use lots of oil.

John

I assume we are talking the pneumatic ones (John the oil gave it away, ;-))

Devon
I can;t speak for the HF pinner, I bought the Grex, headless pinner, 23 gauge, 3/8" - 1-1/4", I know the Lowes, pinner shortes is 5/8’’, I use the 3/8" by far 10 -1 over the other sizes.
I know the Grex is higher but good tools for me are worth it. I hate tools that dont work well.
Electric IMHO will not work well for wha you are wanting to do
Dennis

Dennis Rayon said:

Devon
I can;t speak for the HF pinner, I bought the Grex, headless pinner, 23 gauge, 3/8" - 1-1/4", I know the Lowes, pinner shortes is 5/8’’, I use the 3/8" by far 10 -1 over the other sizes.
I know the Grex is higher but good tools for me are worth it. I hate tools that dont work well.
Electric IMHO will not work well for wha you are wanting to do
Dennis

Denis that is a good thought on the length of the pins. I figured as much about the electric ones. I had to ask.

I built my bridge with a Harbor Freight pin nailer. It sure sped up the assembly process. It took a bit of tweaking with the air pressure, so the pin wouldn’t come flying out the other side, nor not be driven all the way in. Once I dialed it in on some scrap, then it was glue the joint and shoot in 2 pins at different angles, and move to the next joint. I shoot 2 in at different angles, since they do not have heads and the joint can pull apart if they aren’t angled so the joint can’t pull apart.

You mentioned electric pin nailers. Don’t go there !!

The pins hold the wood in place till the glue dries. The strength comes from the Glue 100x more then the pins. For outdoor or for all use… TightBond III only. Not the II. III is “WATER PROOF” and can stand up to constant out door life. Double pinning at different angles adds a lot of strength.

Put it(pin Nailer) on your priority list. Along with some 3/8" pins, 3/4, 1/2, 1" ( generally a half a dozen assorted sizes). You can thank me after Miks Build Challenge 2015 is over.

Dave Taylor said:

Put it(pin Nailer) on your priority list. Along with some 3/8" pins, 3/4, 1/2, 1" ( generally a half a dozen assorted sizes). You can thank me after Miks Build Challenge 2015 is over.

Um, I might be dense, but this vaguely sounds like a hint.

Dave Taylor said:

TightBond III only. Not the II. III is “WATER PROOF” and can stand up to constant out door life.

I seem to buy it by the gallons. I got into building out door furniture out of Redwood for a friends medical fund. I have a life time of Redwood scraps and about a half a gallon of Tightbond III. So once I get a oin nailer I will be ready.

Yes Pneumatic pinners

I have a small tank compressor. Plenty of air.

Be careful pins can bend with the grain and they home in on fingers, the oil prevents tetanus…I’m guessing… had my share…

John

HF’s $25 pin nailer is great for this use. A friend used his to build a trestle out of pvc. Won’t rot! He used PVC cement and the nailer.

I use Grex pins, as they seem to be strong and small enough. Mine are 3/8 inch.

I bought the British version of the HF Pin Nailer. Only to find out later that the smallest pins that i could use were 3/4 in long. Not so good on smaller timber.

Buy a pin nailer from where you can get your pins!
Works great when you use the pins meant for that pin nailer.
Oil use it!
Put an inline water trap to help with condensation.
I agree with getting an assortment!
Good luck!

That usually works but the newest pin nailer at Harbor Freight doesn’t take 1-inch nails which they sell!

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Buy a pin nailer from where you can get your pins!
Works great when you use the pins meant for that pin nailer.
Oil use it!
Put an inline water trap to help with condensation.
I agree with getting an assortment!
Good luck!

Harbor Freight pins suck. They are all 23 ga., it’s what’s inside that counts.

I had to switch to a name brand to get pins that would stay straight with my HF pinner.

The HF pins were jamming inside the ram.

John

This is where I get my pins:

http://www.nailgundepot.com/Micro-Pins-23-Gauge-Headless-Pins-Products.html

The Quality of the pins DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Gee Dave, I didn’t see Harbor Freight listed there! Thanks for the link.

John

I use the Porter Cable pins. They work well. If you keep your HF Pinner well oiled, it should work well for you, though the better ones are… ummmm… better.