Large Scale Central

Trackside R/C from G-Scale Graphics

New 2.4GHZ, 10 amp, radio control for track power. No modifications to locos required. A low cost alternative to similar systems.

More info here … Trackside R/C

Looks like a neat product Del! I like the receiver size (the transponder is cool too)

Hmmmmm
The TE replacement which looks even better!

Where do we see this unit Del. Website" The trackside TE IS also interesting. I am an old school TE control right now. But some day I may run out of receivers, and have to change. Need to know more.

Paul Bottino said:

Where do we see this unit Del. Website" The trackside TE IS also interesting. I am an old school TE control right now. But some day I may run out of receivers, and have to change. Need to know more.

Click here for more info.

Hey cool, I could be interested as I was about to look for an old used 27 MHz Trackside TE, saw a couple at the train show last month but didn’t pick one up yet. I read all your specs and downloaded the manual but didn’t see an answer to one thing: what happens when one presses the opposite direction button when in motion (i.e. hit reverse while the engine is going forward)?

I would “assume” that it slows to a stop and then gently changes direction, but unless I missed it, nowhere does it say that!

And if it does do it nicely, Aristo makes a big deal about having the standing delay programmable. How long does yours sit still between changes?

Thomas S said:
Hey cool, I could be interested as I was about to look for an old used 27 MHz Trackside TE, saw a couple at the train show last month but didn’t pick one up yet. I read all your specs and downloaded the manual but didn’t see an answer to one thing: what happens when one presses the opposite direction button when in motion (i.e. hit reverse while the engine is going forward)? I would “assume” that it slows to a stop and then gently changes direction, but unless I missed it, nowhere does it say that! And if it does do it nicely, Aristo makes a big deal about having the standing delay programmable. How long does yours sit still between changes?

The Forward and Reverse buttons only work while the loco is fully stopped. The Stop button actually does a “Quick Stop”, not instantaneous. The speed just ramps down very quickly to avoid gear damage. Once you are stopped, what is the point of having a delay? There is no delay. Just change direction and go whenever you feel like it.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try to make it more clear in the manual.

“The forward and reverse button only work when the loco is fully stopped”

Oh that’s cool. Many times I guess I inadvertently hit the other direction button on my TE instead of stop, so the train stops, then takes off the other way. Having the direction buttons only work when the train us stopped will prevent that. Very cool.

Ok nice, so you can’t change directions at all unless stopped. And like David says it may be a better idea than the way Aristo implements theirs, I have no personal experience since I don’t own a TE (yet?). Or your trackside solution either obviously.

Hi Del, one more question. I read the manual about where the amount of momentum is adjustable/programable, and how you manually turn momentum on and off at the transmitter, and that sounds nice. But what I didn’t see is if the on/off momentum setting is persistent.

Meaning that every time you turn the system on, do you have to hit 2nd/Stop to turn the momentum on, or will it remember the last setting from when it was last powered on?

Or if it can’t remember what the last setting was, what is the default boot state? Can it be made for the momentum to always be on by default unless toggled off with 2nd/Stop?

Thanks!

P.S. Check your manual page 5 third paragraph, omission error right there on the first line.

The Trackside R/C (like all RailBoss controls) will always power up in the “Fast Rate”. I chose this as the default to avoid delays in train response when you first start up. It is nice to hit the Faster button and see an immediate response so you know things are working.

You can, and should program the throttle for “Min Speed”. This is the voltage where the motor just starts moving. Let’s say your motor doesn’t start moving until it gets 2 volts. Without the Min Speed set, the control will start ramping up the voltage from 0 volts. So there is a significant delay between the time you start pressing the Faster button until you see the loco move. If you program the Min Speed, the loco will start moving on the first button press. However, if you haven’t set Min Speed, and the control powers up with momentum turned on, you could be waiting as long as 5 seconds or more before getting a response from the loco (depending on what the momentum rate is set for).

Long winded explanation for “It powers up in Fast Rate”.

Manual fixed. Thanks.

But you should be careful with setting a min speed if you run a lot of different locomotives, like I do. Stopped for one at 3 volts, may be just creeping along for another.

Just a thought