Large Scale Central

Winchester Model of 1878 Highwall .45-70 Govt

will be mine tomorrow!

Waited almost a month to get my Firearms Certificate ‘varied’ to allow me this new acquisition, no easy way here in yUK to gun ownership.

I’ll be posting on YT when it’s up and running/booming.

tac

But you could have bought another steamer! :slight_smile:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not until my set of AccuCraft CPR cars turns up I can’t…

tac
OVGRS

And just what are you going to hunt with that cannon! I have a Springfield trapdoor same size and it has been fired! Stay out of trouble TAC!

Paul

Here in UK I don’t shoot things that live, but I’m joining the single-shot black powder cartridge rifle shooting club of UK , where I can shoot out to 1200 yards like I do with my muzzle-loading Whitworth, but in a different set of comps.

If you look on my Youtube Channel you can see me shooting a .450 BPE double rifle - now THAT’s a cannon.

Besp

tac - trains, guns and fast cars, what’s not to love? No loose wimmin though, mrs tac get hissy 'bout that.

Congrats Tac , I had one several years ago made by Browning , shot in comp with it and others , Sharps and rolling block rifles for black powder cartridge in NRA steel comp , and out to 1000 yards on a steel buffalo , and it takes a TALL tang site going way out there in distance .
LEE made a nice shooting 340 gr bullet that was accurate shooting for fun or paper targets . But not heavy enough for steel knockdowns at long range , rams and such .
Of course I only used the real black powder !
But I do not still have the rifles now , nor do I shoot much anymore . Ah yes , the golden years , not .

Oh yes , I am a life SASS member # 216 , enjoyed many shooting matches SASS and NRA

Sadly, Deniis, here in yUK only the military are allowed to shoot long-range at metal targets. Us civilians have to make do with paper versions - not the same as hearing that distant clank and seeing the darn thing actually fall over though, is it?

I already have three moulds - that little one you noted, and a 405gr and 500gr flat-nose and round-nose respectively.

When it finally gets into my sticky paws, I’ll be making a Youtube movie of it, to join the other hundred or so already on my channel.

Best

tac
President - Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland [www.vcrai.com]

What! Wimpy measly 45-70? Come on nothing but a Big Fifty 50-90 will do to drop those big brutes (paper or steel). Just kidding, I shot one once, and once only thank you.

450 Black Powder Express. That sounds like a monster. Closest I got with a classic Dangerous game was a chance with a 416 Rigby. Again, I leave those to the guys. I still have one 45-70 (Marlin 1895 Cowboy), but fire it seldom even with a pad on the end, a magazine full leaves me hurting.

My longer range old timer style is a nice 3/4 size 38-55 sharps.

Well have fun and punch down a lot of paper buffalos.

Beeeeyooootiful. As it happens, there was one here on the range Sunday, made by the Christian Sharps Rifle Company and all in a lovely case…sadly the shooter was in the stages of experimentation with it, and didn’t let anybody else shoot it.

Mean old bu**er.

tac

WoW! An aimed shot out to 1,200 yards. I’ve seen it done, but never tried it.

I have a Mosin-Nagant Model 1891/30 that has the rear sight graduated out to that distance. Very optimistic I would guess, but still I would like to find a range to try to hit at that long range.

P.S. I love shooting my Winchester Model 71, .348 250 gr. but only a few shots. Ouch!