Large Scale Central

Rediscovering my old car (and why I bought it)

I’ve had my 911 since new, but rarely drove it because I had the family car for running around town, which is about all the driving we do these days (Hey, we live in LA, the world’s largest parking lot). Plus I have my trains, a work in progress. But now, I’m seeing more and more guys my age (ahem), driving cool-looking vintage cars and I’m thinking, “I need one of those.” Then comes the realization: “You already have one, stupid!” So I decided to bring the car I was once so in love with, up to snuff. I had the carbs rebuilt, the engine tuned and dumped in five gallons of racing gas to wipe out the stuff that had been aging for several years. Now the car runs like its designer, “Butzi” Porsche intended and I’m having fun with it again. Unfortunately, I need to replace stuff like window trim rubber, clean up the engine compartment, paint the air cleaner, etc, which means that my train projects have been sidetracked. But winter is coming and we have an unheated garage, so…

You are welcome to come over and use my lift (to get at the chassis) and air tools. I’m in the hills above North Tustin.

Thanks for your generous offer, Todd. I’ve seen your car on TV. It’s a Split Window, right? Didya ever think it would become as collectible as it is when you bought it? True story: I know a guy who’s widely recognized in racing circles, who cut the center bar out of his rear window because he thought the bar looked ugly. Or so I was told. BTW, sorry I didn’t get by for your dog and pony show this past weekend, but in this heat?!

It’s a '64, and they removed the “split” in that year.

Many people removed the “split” when the '64’s came out and there were even kits to do it. Later came kits to put it back in.

We are doing the “dog and pony show” again this weekend on Sat and Sun from 1-4 and the weatherman promises it will cool down. Also, because of the canyon, it is about 4-5 degrees cooler here than just a mile away.

There will also be a dozen other railroads of various scales on display this weekend in the area including three other garden layouts one of which is Dave Sheegog’s Disney-themed Castle Peak & Thunder.

I’m glad you have rediscovered your 911 Joe, just like our trains that shouldn’t sit on shelves colelcting dust cool cars should be driven and enjoyed. My 1965 Cobra replica will be going away again for the Winter. I don’t have a proper garage for it so it winters in my Moms 2 car garage which is a one hour plus ride away. I do check in on it when I visit my Mom and take it for a spin if weather allows but for the most part it sits. Then come the Spring I rediscover the car and remember why I built it. It is FUN.

Get that Porsche going as soon as you can and enjoy it.

Todd Haskins, you are so right. Cars (and trains) are meant to be used and enjoyed. I want to try out the new tach adaptor I just installed–to make the tach work with my aftermarket CD ingnition–but it’s been beastly hot and I don’t want to leave the house. Hmm, Cobra. Cool! I scared the poop out of myself and my passenger (whose uncle actually owned the 428 Cobra I was driving), while playing hero driver in the esses on Sunset Blvd in Beverly Hills. I was much younger and stupider then. Now I’m not so young.

BTW, for you Ford and/or Cobra fans who questioned my mention of a 428-engineed car, rather than a 427, as most people assumed Mark III Cobras were, here’s an explantaion from Wikipedia: “to save cost, most AC Cobra 427s were actually fitted with Ford’s 428 cubic inches (7.01 L) engine, a long stroke, smaller bore, lower cost engine, intended for road use rather than racing.”

Todd Brody, I thought that open house thing was last weekend? I received the email notice from the NMRA and am tempted to see what’s out there.

This Sat-Sun, 20-21st. A dozen layouts on Sat (four garden), but just four on Sun (one garden).

Joe you are extremely lucky to already have one. I have pretty much given up on EVER owning one of the vintage cars I’ve always wanted. The “collector” market has driven the prices of everything including modest cars into loony land. When I see something modest like a decent looking Kharmann Ghia wanting $12-19 K…geez, but when you see a Vdub Safari microbus going for close to $50k, you know the market is plain nuts.

Vic, true dat. And thanks for the kind words. I never expected it to come to this. But since I’m not about to sell it, it doesn’t matter how much it’s worth.

You’re right about the market being “plain nuts.” I used to fantacize about cars I’d like to own and at one time they were affordable. Not anymore. So there will be no: 1955 Chrysler 300; '32 Ford three-window with steel wheels, baby Moons and a flathead; '59 Vette (my first car).