Large Scale Central

25 mm Warhammer Sailing Ships

Boomer, those are sweet! I didn’t know you were into warhammer. I played 40k for years then switched to fantasy and now I’ve down graded (in size) to playing skirmish. I have a small village that I built. Most of it is unpainted and probably never will be…

We also play Dust tactics, X Wing miniatures and Battletech. I have a ton of flames of war stuff too. The models are nice but the game never took off around here, it’s too rulesy.

Terry

We played Warhammer/Mighty Empires. We’d use Mighty Empires as the global game, and when two armies found each other, we’d tabletop Warhammer. I still have my lizard man and skeleton armies, though I should sell them sometime…

They look great Boomer, I see we have a lot of interests in common. I also noticed some 12" military figures too I have a whole book shelf full. from the revolution to now.Also have a dozen plank on frame ships. from 14" to 40".:slight_smile:

Boomer , you’ve done a good job there , catching the character of the Warhammer Games .

I bet you had fun doing them too , it shows !!!

Mike Brit

It’s quite widespread , we have a Games Workshop about a half mile from here .

Their paints really are very good----Chaos Black is a perfect steam loco finish , Citadel Paints .

My Son has a good selection of the kits , mainly space fantasy .

Mike Brit

The citidel paints are nice. I have been told that they are just repackaged apple barrel paints. I do know that apple barrel leaf green is a dead ringer for orc green.
I really enjoyed 40k but our group only consisted of 3 guys. It got old playing the same people all the time. Plus, the yearly price increase from GW always sucked. I do miss it though.
Terry

I only know the leaf green because I didn’t want to pay $4 per 1/2 ounce of orc green when I did my orc army.

I just did some 30 second research and it appears coat d’arms makes the famous citadel paint. It also appears that when GW wraps their label on the bottle the price doubles.

When you made the first post I went online to see what was new for GW. Holy crap!!! They are asking $50 for a 10 man unit now. $165 for battle sets. I miss the game, not all the rule changes, but man o man am I glad I got out of it. It’s more expensive than trains!

Terry

More 30 second research, HMG makes coat d’arms.

Terry

Boomer is quite right about the paints for figures .

Citadel paints are made for figures that will be handled , so it’s made so that it doesn’t rub off.

Citadel , along with Vallejo , MIG and Lifecolour make probably the best paints for getting a proper matt finish for clothing .

They also offer sets of paints , like Weathered Wood , Flesh Tones , WW2 Allied Colours ,

Rust shades etc…

The boxed sets come with instructions which will help novices and experienced alike .

I apologise to those who find these things expensive , but go without a bottle of whisky and buy a set .

I was fortunate to get into different modelling pursuits , so picked up knowledge of the bits and bobs that go with the different disciplines . Some of the tools advertised in Military Mags give a wide choice of things you may not see if you only look to model rail support for stuff .

There are also bits of medical equipment that are useful , factories in China have picked up on the fact that non-sterile stuff can be sold cheap for non medical use . My favourite bits from them are Locking Forceps , also known as Fly Fisherman Clamps . These are ideal for holding sub assemblies while painting , or spraying anything with spray cans to keep your hands out of the spray . They look like scissors and once you get them , you may wonder how you got on without .

A quick look at Squadron Hobbies site will give you an idea of tools you may not have come across .

A quick tip for holding models to spray all round in one go .

Drill a hole in it that will give an interference fit with wooden skewers for meat , bung the skewer in et voila ! A cheap holder . A large 1/24 scale truck cab is easily handled with a skewer .

I usually drill a hole in the foot of my figures , on the underside , you understand , otherwise the figure may look like it has severe battle damage .

Pick up on these ideas and you may finish up doing better figures than Boomer .

But he will be a hard act to follow .

Mike Brit

Boomer , if you behave , I’ll let you have just one tot .

Mike

Boomer, if you don’t behave, I’ll let you have two. :slight_smile:

You utter cad , sir Steve .

You have now confusled poor Bloomer .

If you had one , I’d stop your rum ration .

Instead , I shall depart blowing raspberries . Thrrp , Thrrrp THRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP , see .

Oh dear , anyone got any paper ?

Mike Brit

Hey, I’m a Sailor. Whadya expect? Alpha Delta 28.

Well, if your creation is going to be handled, then a better quality of paint is in order.

I have used Delta Cremcoat for a lot of my models. Its cheep, (I like cheep), it covers well and it water based (no fumes). Yes, its a craft paint, but I think its a bit better then the other craft paints out there. I have even used it to paint and weather my rolling stock.

But just because I have had luck with it, does not mean that I am saying that is is anywhere near as good as the quality model paints.

David , you are quite correct about other paints , because the ageing of paint depends a lot on how it’s applied .

Almost by definition the expensive (comparitively) paints only get applied in small quantities to small areas where they tend to even out , giving a constant thickness and thus not adding high spots where the paints can wear .

Household emulsion , properly used and coated can be used on plastics , and obviously is a lot cheaper , but the choice is down to the user ; the ideal place for emulsion is on weathering stock , you do not need a Rolls Royce job on a grotty boxcar

This hobby is expensive enough , but I have to say that I do not let the cost of minor items like paint spoil my fun . Just imagine how many pots of decent paint you can get for the cost of a $300 loco . If you cannot afford both , plan your priorities .

Mike Brit

“Hey, I’m a Sailor. Whadya expect? Alpha Delta 28.” Thus sayeth Steve

OOO!!! Hello Sailor .

Mike Brit , ducking quickly

Boomer, you didn’t sound harsh. Passionate about paint would be a better way to put it. You’re correct about quality of paint. In the cheap paint realm I have found a lot of what works and what doesn’t, especially when painting large amounts like the orcs or my space marines. The lighter shades tend to suck the most as they don’t cover well even in multiple coats. I think the best of the GW paints are the metallics. Although I do have to say I don’t have any experience with the newest line of GW paints. Honestly my only gripe is the volume/cost.

Terry

“The lighter shades tend to suck the most as they don’t cover well even in multiple coats.”

That’s what primer is for .

Mike Brit

Even with primer Mike.

Terry

Hey, those ships are good looking pieces!
Warhammer is one I haven’t played, over the years have bought some interesting bits from it.
And have a maybe 15 year old jar of Citadel paint, Tin Bitz color, which is still being used every now and then.
Mostly did historical miniatures gaming, WW2 in 1/72, 20mm, scale & 1/2400 naval, with some sci-fi space combat, Full Thrust, Silent Death, a couple different Star Trek games, and a bit of D&D every now and then.
When my health crashed some years back, I got out of it all.
But in November last year while browsing a game store had stumbled across in Columbia, MO, found a little rule book for a retro-sci-fi game named “War Rocket”. Found company’s website and FB pages. They have in next couple months the figures rules “Retro Raygun” being released.
This year I have been buying miniatures, and making scenery, again
Planning to (read that as hoping to) put on a Retro Raygun game next year. Scenery for it is currently in-progress all over the kitchen table, for the last couple months. Oh the joys of being single :smiley:
When I wasn’t single, Kathy assisted me in putting on some WW2 games. I appreciated that.

As far as painting figures, I have used whatever I had that was the color I wanted or was easy to alter to suit, Testors, Tamiya, PollyScale, Model Shipways, Apple Barrel, Ceramcraft, Ral Partha, Games Workshop, Vallejo.
I was primarily a model train and plastic model builder so most of my paints were for that and I didn’t see the need to buy a whole second collection of paints just for game minis.

But hey, everybody is different and has what works for them.