Large Scale Central

Cooking and baking

I do a lot of that — I also like to eat.

Friday was Swiss National Holiday, at the pot luck get-together someone had brought an apricot pie.

My first question after the first taste: what’s in the crust? Turns out it was from our local super-duper apple pie place - they sell the crust as frozen dough balls. SWMBO decided to get a batch, for emergencies aka “I don’t feel like baking today”.

The apricot pie is a-baking as I write, kitbashed à la Mueller (in French it would be à la Meunier, which sounds fancier )

Elk steaks for supper. It’s great when one has relatives who live in the Northern wilds of BC and do the hunting - they love it.

So do we, when we get to it the “good stuff”.

SWMBO went to the Farmers’ Market and returned with an eleven pound box of plums. Supposedly the last of the season - do they leave the rest for the bears?.

I got right with the program and now the smell of baking plum cake is wafting through the house. Perhaps I should shoot a picture of the first slices all decked out with whipping cream; apparently that’s what the people who also shoot “selfies” do at restaurants.

Now I have a nasty suspicion; they probably do that because they can’t cook or bake well enough to warrant a picture at home, eh??

OK here we go

BTW just to make sure there are no “misunderstandings”, or crazy rumours, heaven forbid. Over on the RhB / Swiss Trains Forum we’ve had a “Swiss Recipes” section since 23 May 2006

Except for baking, where things need to be precise, I firmly believe in the “a little of this and a little of that” method as the mood strikes. No problem at all with almost fifty years of practice under the belt.

BTW I was batching it when I lived in Sweden (1966/67) and since I found Swedish food very bland cooking was a given.