Large Scale Central

decal removal. Help!

I’m having trouble removing some decals that didn’t turn out as I had planned. I have tried water, Microset, Solvaset, and alcohol. I have been able to remove most of one but there is still some residual decal left. The other wont budge unless I start scraping it off but that’s starting to harm the plastic. And the alcohol has left I milky white stain on the plastic that I can’t seem to clean off. It’s on a Bachmann C-19 tender and is not painted its just the factory black plastic.

Please help.

Try “Super Clean”.
It’s an automotive degreaser available at most parts stores.
Let it soak about 30 minutes.
Ralph

…winking…

I just bought some of this the other day at an O’reilly Auto parts. They had gallon jugs on sale for like $7.99. Just a dollar more or so for the 32 oz spray bottle. Thought I might use some on my car or bicycles also and couldn’t pass up the value. Haven’t tried it out yet on my Bachmann tender that brake cleaner would not get all the lettering off.

Patrick

Thanks for the tip, ill get some super clean this afternoon.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the milky stain from the alcohol?

If you have not Dullcoated those decals, warm water and a rotary tooth brush with an old brush in it would remove them. I had a number of On30 cars that were cleaned this way. Removed all the decals and did not harm the paint. It may even remove or polish the alcohol haze.

BTW: Crest or Colgate toothpaste is a great chrome or metal cleaner, is non-toxic and washes off with warm water. Great for removing tea stains or tarnish from flatware.

If it is a water slide of dry transfer use some good sticky tape and burnish it down on surface and then pull it off…some times it will lift off decals or try "super clean"and dissolve off

Decals , decals , the source of much frustration .

Did you know that when fixing a decal , Vinegar will soften it and make it conform to the rivety bumpy surface ?

So if you remove the coating of clear you’ve put over the decal , leaving it soaking in vinegar will soften it in the same way .

Build a little dam round it with BluTak or modelling clay to stop it running off the surface . Be patient , and ask yourself why the hurry ? Is it essential that the object of your undressing appears on your tracks immediately , if not sooner ?

Mike

PS Before making unsavoury comments , read the full post of “Old Tip” in this section .

Then argue from a position of strength .