Large Scale Central

Bachmann Davenport Headlight Mod

I have two B’mann Davenports on the HDRR. I like them both, but the huge headlight on them always annoyed me. It just looks too big! I did a pretty thorough image search online and could not find the prototype for this headlight. I did, however, find many pictures of Davenports with smaller or “built in” headlights. This looked more natural to me so I modified both #1 and #2 to this configuration. While I was at it, I used a much brighter warm white LED. I like it!

Next I need to install a bell and horns on each Davenport.

Joe, that really worked well!!! Much more ‘realistic’.

If you find yourself not needing those you removed-please let me know-my boxcab will need a few lights.

I really like the look of that. That headlight is enormous! I have one, I was going to make a box cab out of it but I go back and forth about it. my biggest problem is fitting sound, RC and a battery in it.

Terry

Yes, Joe… That did work out very well… Very nicely done…

Terry Burr said:

I really like the look of that. That headlight is enormous! I have one, I was going to make a box cab out of it but I go back and forth about it. my biggest problem is fitting sound, RC and a battery in it.

Terry

Matt did it!

I found a loco with a headlight pretty close.

photo roundhouse11_zps004e3580.jpg

Tom

Here is another view.

photo Florida2012020_zpsaccdf69b.jpg

Tom

I always thought the headlights were over-sized. Nice fix.

That was one of the locos I rebuilt when I was working at the railroad museum in Savannah. It now has a Cummings diesel installed in place of the Cat.

Lou

Tom Stephens said:

I found a loco with a headlight pretty close.

photo roundhouse11_zps004e3580.jpg

Tom

Tom,

That headlight is MUCH smaller than what Bachmann puts on the Davenport. If it was that size I would have kept them on mine.

The Bachmann one is way too big for my liking.
A fat whiteboard marker has some good bits on it to make headlights.

Andrew

I would get rid of the handrails attached to the radiator before

I worried about the size of the headlight.

These guys did the handrails right, but left the headlight.

Not quite full size, but still big. It is 0-6-0.

photo DavenportDiesel5inchscale_zps677a2e06.png

Tom

Joe,

I like your headlight modification.

Back when doing the mining district I modified my Davenport.

Couple pictures.

I left the light in the same location but built a smaller version from Styrene tube.
The handrail brackets were also relocated.

I redid the exhaust stack to something I felt better fit a small gas engine. The horn was turned on the lathe from brass.

Rick

Tom Stephens said:

I would get rid of the handrails attached to the radiator before

I worried about the size of the headlight.

These guys did the handrails right, but left the headlight.

Not quite full size, but still big. It is 0-6-0.

photo DavenportDiesel5inchscale_zps677a2e06.png

Tom

Tom,

The handrail is not really attached to the radiator. It’s a attached to a guard shield in front of the radiator.

Rick Marty said:

Joe,

I like your headlight modification.

Back when doing the mining district I modified my Davenport.

Couple pictures.

I left the light in the same location but built a smaller version from Styrene tube.
The handrail brackets were also relocated.

I redid the exhaust stack to something I felt better fit a small gas engine. The horn was turned on the lathe from brass.

Rick

Rick, I love your stack and like your horn, but where is your bell?

Joe, what did you do to cover the holes in the hood from the old light?

Terry

Terry Burr said:

Joe, what did you do to cover the holes in the hood from the old light?

Terry

Terry,

I simply covered them up with a strip of aluminum tape and spray painted the hoods flat black.

Concerning battery and radio control, it’s worth noting that the space between the frames of the Davenport is a push fit for AA cell holders, so that 4 AA cells can be inserted between the frames, as shown in the photo:

Davenport batteries
The cell holders are not even glued. They are a simple push fit.

I’ve installed 4 other cells on the engine hood, separating the Mylocosound soundcard and 2" speaker on the bottom and the Revolution card (pre-sound) on top. Two other cells are stuck in the cab, under the roof.

Jose Morais

Head master of the Lapa Furada RR

Welcome Jose

Neat idea with the AA’s and the press fit!