Large Scale Central

Buy the model, then the car. Bring money

Since it’s that time of the year, you might want to consider one (or both) of these as a stocking stuffer. It’s Porsche’s hybrid supercar, the 918, which will pretty much blow away all the other supercars.

You can start with the model, which costs $8,500.

Porsche1.jpg (640×480)

Oh well, just imagine that the car looks just like the model–only bigger and costing way more.

The down payment is $200 grand, while the balance is $845 thou, plus any extras a discriminating buyer might want.

Operators are standing by.

Thats OK Joe but I would rather put the $8K towards a 500 Abarth or a Scion FSR . That 918 is only for folks from Dubai.

1957 XK140MC, roadster.

Something like this? BTW, it’s $78 thou, but there are cheaper fixer uppers.### ### 1957 Jaguar XK-140 Roadster

1957 Jaguar XK-140 Roadster

Emeryville, CA

1957 Jaguar XK140 MC Roadster s/n S811725, engine no. G4786-8S Burgundy with Tan Interior One of the 1950s’ most iconic motor cars, the Jaguar XK series has… More

Add to Favorites More

Offered By: Fantasy Junction
Advertiser since 1978

Yep pretty much everything old and cool has also gotten fiendishly expensive as well. You know its getting wierd when Pintos and Gremlins are starting to get "collectable "

I have always loved Porsche. Seeing one on the road still gives me a smile but no thanks I will keep my real toy a replica of a 1965 427 Cobra.
A real one with a 289 in it went for $750,000 at a auction last month. This one cost under $25,000. I do have little models of this car including a purple Hartland Mack/Cobra for the rails.

Joe Rusz said:

Something like this? BTW, it’s $78 thou, but there are cheaper fixer uppers.### ### 1957 Jaguar XK-140 Roadster

1957 Jaguar XK-140 Roadster

Emeryville, CA

1957 Jaguar XK140 MC Roadster s/n S811725, engine no. G4786-8S Burgundy with Tan Interior One of the 1950s’ most iconic motor cars, the Jaguar XK series has… More

Add to Favorites More

Offered By: Fantasy Junction
Advertiser since 1978

Yeah. And about $74K more than I could ever do.

Todd Haskins said:

I have always loved Porsche. Seeing one on the road still gives me a smile but no thanks I will keep my real toy a replica of a 1965 427 Cobra.
A real one with a 289 in it went for $750,000 at a auction last month. This one cost under $25,000. I do have little models of this car including a purple Hartland Mack/Cobra for the rails.

Is this a kit from the shop that you see at all the car shows in the MA/RI area?
Can’t think of the name…

I think it is Factory Five Racing…

You got it it’s a Factory Five Racing Roadster. I bought the kit in 1998 so it is a very early model. 5 speed 302 FUN

Here is the Mack/Cobra
http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/capecodtodd/forumfiles/SpringMack.jpg

A friend of mine who is president of our homeowners’ association possibly shared in the profits when his family (father, brother and he) sold an original Shebly 289 Cobra at auction for just over $1 million. It was one of the first dozen or so built in So Cal and even had the inspection stickers on it from Nassau Speedweeks and places like that. His brother races in the Trans-Am, but I suspect that’s with his own money (lots of it required), which is generated by his custom machine shop business in New England.

Factory Five kits are great because they can use almost every part of the late 90’s Mustang, and those can be got for a few grand
. My wife likes them and has given me permission if I can get a deal on a kit to grab it.

Vic I say GO FOR IT! This past June at the FFR homecoming in Wareham they unveiled their newest kit the 818. it is a light weight suburu powered rocket, they offer a street or a track version. The 818 is a venture back to what got factory five going the concept that a guy can build a world class car in his garage for around $15,000. Of course like the Cobra Roadster how much you spend depends on how many donor parts you can find and how much work you can do yourself. Back when I built mine in 98-2000 I bought a 1990 mustang LX for $2000 at a auction. The interior was gone and the outside a bit beat up but it had all the guts that I needed. Today 1987-1993 mustangs are rare or either beat to death. many guys that build the cobras now use new crate engines that are already setup to go faster. I find it Funny at the homecoming that some guys have more money in their engines than I do in my entire car.
I believe the basic MK4 Cobra kit is around $12,000 and that includes everything except the drivetrain, brakes, wheels and tires. Today you can order your kit and tell them what you will be using for a drivetrain and they will custom weld the motor and tranny mounts for you. There is also options with what rear end you want. There is also of course a online forum that didn’t exist when I built mine but is a wealth of info.

If you can get yourself to Wareham MA. they will give you a tour of the factory. If you can get there in June for the annual homecoming you will be “Bitten”

GO FOR IT !

Hey Joe

look what I found at the LA Auto Show yesterday

:wink:

I’d rather have a cadillac CTS-V coupe. Later RJD

Vic, that be the one. Great styling and never mind the kick-ass performance. I think I need me some new friends.

Ralph, Mr Caddy Man, as I was scoping out the Cadillac dream car, I said to this guy (perhaps

he was a racing writer, since he knew me by name): “You know, as a former Western New Yorker, I appreciate GM naming this car after a cute Southern Tier town, Elmira.” And he gets all serious and says,“No, it’s the Elmiraj, pronounced ‘El Mirage,’ like in the dry lake.” So I says, “Oh, I thought it was the Elmira J, like maybe the J model of the Elmira.” Some people have no sense of humour. :frowning:

Oh, oh, wait! While I was admiring to car from Elmira, my art director buddy asks this tall, good-lookin’ blonde lady who was the Caddy person, what the color was. She says, “Indian Blue,” and it took all I could muster to keep me from breaking into my best accent and asking, “Is that Indian, like in Calcutta, or Indian as in Native American?”

But wait, there’s more: I told the folks at Porsche that their new SUV was called the Macan, because at a planning session someone said the car looked like a shoe, a Thom McCann. So they decided to call it Macan to avoid copywrite infringement. :slight_smile:

The Cobra Roadsters are extremely cool. My older brother drove one on the track for a rich friend. The car was road legal and Joel was able to bring it home on occasion. Once, soon after I had a license in 1969, he left it and me home alone with the keys nearby. My buddy and I couldn’t help but taking it out for a burn. In our quiet residential neighborhood I think I managed to get it into third before the first stop sign came in, and out of view at around 100Mph. We sheepishly idled it home and changed our underwear.

Joe I had some fun at the show questioning why the VW Tiguan was parked in the Porsche booth and why was it twice the price of the one down in the VW space? Needless to say I wasn’t making any friends there.

Ralph I got a nice sit in the '14 CTS. I have to admit I could get very used to that. I actually liked the CTS more than the Jag F convertible which is also pretty darn nice …but I’d pass on both for a Subaru BRZ. That was extremely tempting.

BTW the Vegas Driving Experience is coming to Fontana raceway next year on their own track. Gotta start saving for my B’day and a date with a Lambo Gallardo or maybe the Ferrari 458

:wink:

Vic, yep, start saving yer money. As a freeloader, sorry, automotive journalist, I did many “experiences,” including one of the last, which left me with steel plate in my (crushed) left heel. But fools being fools, that didn’t slow me down much and I still “feel the need for speed.” However, only if it’s free (Hey, our kind have a tradition to uphold).

Roger on the BRZ or its ??? counterpart.

As for the Tiguan, yer off by one of VW’s many brands. I know nothing (anymore), but our Porsche guy said the Macan is Audi Q5 based with 70-percent of the content coming from Stuttgart (actually, Weissach), which is what they always say when they want to justify charging more for the same stuff.

Jon, Cobra roadtser story: when I moved to SoCal in 1966, a Buffalo friend of mine came out to visit and showed up in style–a 428 Cobra, which was the street version. It was owned by his uncle who is a big VW dealer in the San Fernando Valley. Anyway, I introduced my buddy to a place called “The Rat Fink,” a UCLA hangout near campus and we had a fine time. On the way home, he let me drive this bear of a car and we tried some very imaginative lines through the S-bends on Sunset Blvd (you locals know where that is). Once again proving that the Lord does indeed protect fools and…

Joe I thought the Tiguan/Q5/Macan all share the same incestuous base? They sure look alike…all I know is that IMO the Macan is way overpriced, but I know it will outsell every other Porsche model combined. Look how well the Cayenne sells.

The BRZs counterpart is the Scion FRS, dam nice both of them, not the fastest, nor the swiftest, but maybe just maybe, the most fun car to drive in everyday conditions (IOWs within speed limits). It really reminds me of the original Datsun 240Z. Good solid basic and fun as hell.